On the subject of careers/jobs....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Knowing what you know now, if you had your time over again would you make the same career choice or do something completely different?

Personally, even though I enjoyed a career as an armature winder/fitter, I would do what I had planned if I hadn't got a job by the time the new school term started in September. I would join the Royal Navy and build a career with them. Whether things would have been better or worse I will never know. Some slight regrets it didn't happen but I'm pragmatic, if it had been meant to happen then it would have. As it was it didn't but I'm not sorry for the life I've had.

Sponsored Links
Whilst I've thought did I make the correct career choice (at the third attempt) but I've had I've seen plenty of sights and enjoyed most of it.
Have thought I'd have enjoyed a career in 'the Andrew' (as a ship's Diver) but then in the career I've had I've seen plenty of the world. (10 European countries, 3 US states, and parts of Indonesia.)

I applied for a few apprenticeships and was offered Fitter & Turner, Work Study Engineer and Electrician, took the sparky route as it sounded more in line with my interests in radio & music, been a good decision never out of work except by choice and worked in a couple of different countries

On rare occasions I might wistfully think I should have listened to my dear old mum and pursued a career in drugs and or ghetto housing.

Sponsored Links
As it was it didn't but I'm not sorry for the life I've had.
Indeed..."only regret the things You have not done"...The sliding doors idea...go off down a differing path....but you might not meet the present Mrs,have kids,,etc...No matter what job one has it has its ups and downs..My dream job of pilot or surgeon must have its downsides...Certainly sitting on ones backside monitoring dials in a cramped flghtdeck must be boring...( they seem to have moved away from calling it a Cock Pit!)..Though I think I could have coped with 747/1980s pilot life staying abroad a few days with the trolly dollies.

I'd do it completely differently. Settled on a career in IT cause I'd previously had jobs in that sector, however now wish I'd gone in for something like psychology as IT does nothing to excite/inspire me truth be told.

Difficult question to answer I was very interested in my sector initially, but now not very interested anymore. Still matters not as I'm getting close to the end of that chapter anyway.

The balance between what you'd love to do, and what you do to support the life and lifestyle you want.

If I had my time again , I'd love to be an engineer or builder, but not have to make a living out of it ; for me, that would take the joy out of it, I reckon.

I would be a billion pound inventor. (But actually have the money)

Last edited:
I would have done something with old buildings, not sure what but I really like them. Or a builder/property developer.

Sponsored Links
Back