Whats Your Occupation today?

I started as an apprentice gas fitter in 1968. That lasted for 6 years, when the lure of better money got to me. So, I went to Fords in Dagenham as an industrial Plumber. I've had many career alterations throughout my working life, but I returned to gas work a few years back. I'm still hoping to be a millionaire and can hang up my boots :cool:

Sponsored Links
Bar work, sales jobs, all kinds of different things, started working for myself in 1999. Get to work at 0745, sometimes work till 1900hrs but I really don't mind, I love working! :cool:

I'm sorry but that job doesn't seem to achieve anything...checking checking checking, auditing, liaising, surveying, advising, liasing, eating, meeting people to discuss issues, contacting suppliers to chase up orders, getting updates; to me, and I'm sorry it sounds rude, is the definition of a jobsworth. As what you do, is to chase paper all day, but achieve nothing?
So are you a snapdragon, that tells people what to do, and where to be, in an organisation that you are external to? Or a manager to keep a grip on things, where people are disorganised? You are chasing up people, questioning people, auditing stuff, but not actually doing stuff?

No offense, as I say, but seems a job with no purpose, and you have done that all your life? The cogs of industry still roll..

Didn't get time last night to also say I overhaul the smaller motors on a workbench in the back room stores. Seems stupid sending a small motor/gearbox unit 20 miles away when I can fully service it on site.
Thereby giving the client a faster turnround and less 'downtime'.
As for being a 'snapdragon'? Not in the least, I am there to help the company run as smoothly and efficiently as possible, not be a bossy boots which, in looking at others, I feel gets you nowhere.

More to come later.

Started as a builders' labourer at 15.

Still building at 44, no breaks in-between.

Bit knackered now though.

Sponsored Links
Mick you are professionally unemployed and yet you have the cheek to criticise a taxpaying worker who helps pay for your special brew and roll ups.

I started as an apprentice in multi skilled engineering for a pharmaceutical manufacturing factory, and afterwards concentrated on an electrical bias ending up as factory services manager ( responsbile for looking after electrical maint. of the production lines, manufacturing control systems and S.C.A.D.A) Due to cutbacks i ended up not working there anymore.

after a short while of hell i landed a job in an automated warehouse as a control engineer looking after stacker cranes, conveyor systems, pallet cars, mono rail transfer systems, as well as the basic lighting and power distribution.

its a brilliant job

To continue:
Responsible for implementing a new stock control system, ,amalgamating 2 different systems that will be able to 'interact' with each other rather than the present system of 'working on one system' then going to the clients system and trying to 'marry' up the different information to gain an overall picture.
Co-ordinating repairs at my old branch to minimise down time whilst also looking at 'loss producing' equipment and recommending better alternatives.
The list is endless Mick. So far from being 'a non-productive jobsworth' as you put it, I am very pro-active in ensuring the continuing success of a major 'blue chip' company thereby ensuring job security for its employees.

(Now if I was the type of person that looks down on people because I thought I was superior I could post a sarcastic comment here, but as I'm not like that I won't. Everyone has a role to play in society, no matter how they perform that role.)

Why do the authorities pick on you Mick? There are millions unemployed but just a few thousand charity shops. You've never explained why they single you out all the time. How long have you been on the dole?

I don't understand your post whatsoever Joe, but I'll try to explain; I don't know 'they' that single me out 'all the time', as everyone that is unemployed must do this work, it depends what category you are listed as, as the Government moves people around to massage figures, as to how many unemployed there actually are. They send some people to work in schools as classroom assistants, or to assist the caretaker, some work as painters, some do groundwork. It's common practice. Average sized charity shop, maybe 10 staff? Say maybe 3-4 charity shops in a town x say 7 unemployed, and 2 doing CS? plus the manager...

Conny - I said twice in my post, no offense, and even though you have added to your current duties, which isn't what the OP asked for, I still cannot see what it is that you actually do. It reads like a CV. 'implementing' this, and 'amalgamating' that, doesn't mean anything, do you mean you tell other people to do those tasks for you? Also co-ordinating, and looking at loss producing equipment, and recommending better alternatives? It's all CV chat, and doesn't mean anything. WHAT is it that you DO?

I'm not mightier than thou, as others have suggested, and I don't mean offense, I'm sure it's a good job, as the wording suggests that nothing is being done.

I implement my computer, by suggesting that it should be switched on, by consulting and interacting with 2 systems, by amalgamating them, to marry up blue chip companies to suggest a way the most cost effective methods, and pro-actively, ensure that by marrying up this information is cost effective, thus telling me to switch the computer on, it's AMD, bluechip, and also switch on the monitor.

In plain simple language Mick.

I physically fix things and make sure things run smoothly by also doing the paperwork and looking for ways to cut costs.

I am not 'non-productive' in any sense of the word. I do physical tasks that produce an end result that you can physically see and appreciate.
I don't take offence at anything you are saying by the way. ;)

Today,,,, I'm mainly going to be painting the bathroom. !!! So I'm a painter today ;) ;) ;)

Tomorrow, I'm mainly going to be,,, sitting on my bum watching the golf (hopefully. weather permitting ) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Today,,,, I'm mainly going to be painting the bathroom. !!! So I'm a painter today ;) ;) ;)

Tomorrow, I'm mainly going to be,,, sitting on my bum watching the golf (hopefully. weather permitting ) ;) ;) ;) ;)

So tomorrow you're going to be a lazy a**e! :LOL:

What's my occupation today? does this mean i have to log on every day and tell you the same thing? :eek: that's gonna be boring, isn't it? :eek:

Conny?

What industry do you work in? or what line of business is it your company deals with?

Sponsored Links
Back