On the subject of careers/jobs....

Knowing what you know now, if you had your time over again would you make the same career choice or do something completely different?

Not at all! I messed up at school, and the school and parents failed to spot my strengths and see advise on career choices.
I was really good at Newtonian mechanics, and also technical drawing. But I was terrible at "pure maths", I pretty much failed maths at A level, even though I scored over 90% in mechanics. The only subject that I really got engrossed in was design - I would work all night getting my projects perfect before submitting.

Only after doing extensions on my own homes, I rediscovered an interest in designing and planning. I visited my first architect and saw them doing some work, and thought, that looks so easy now with their computers. I should have been an architect.

Or, I also discovered an interest in health later in life, and did a 2 year course with the OU, which I breezed through. Looking through old school reports, my biology teacher tried to encourage me to continue with biology.

But instead I took topics that were out of my depth (maths, physics, astrophysics) then got a degree that took me nowhere at first, and I fell into banking work in London, before becoming a web guy and writer, and finally where I am now. I am happy now, but I do wonder how things would be if I'd become an architect or industrial designer or something like that and actually followed a career from school/college. Many of my friends did this and have a lot more money than I do now, and don't need to do DIY at all! :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looking around at the millionaires in my area, I should have been a scrap man

Sponsored Links
Back