What kind of bolts and wallplugs to mount heavy wall mount cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large wall mount cabinet that is a floating cabinet that needs to be wall mounted to a wall. The wall has a dot and dab plasterboard and behind this plasterboard is 4" breeze block. Can I use coach bolts with wallplugs to mount this or is there better fixings?

Sponsored Links
Found some damming reviews of these, here is one.
Having used fixings for many years theses are by far the worst for aerated breeze blocks with dot and dab walls in modern builds.they go in OK. but cannot sustain any torquer or load.
put it like this 4 of these could not sustain the weight of a 400x500mm radiator panel.
over 24 hours (radiator not mounted, plumbed in or operational) the screws worked loose and the brackets came away from the wall ....

When you say breeze block are you referring to thermalite? Blocks.

Sponsored Links
Used the ones I mentioned loads of time to hang heavy radiators and found them very good ,obviously others have a different opinion but work for me.

Found some damming reviews of these, here is one.
Having used fixings for many years theses are by far the worst for aerated breeze blocks with dot and dab walls in modern builds.they go in OK. but cannot sustain any torquer or load.
put it like this 4 of these could not sustain the weight of a 400x500mm radiator panel.
over 24 hours (radiator not mounted, plumbed in or operational) the screws worked loose and the brackets came away from the wall ....

When you say breeze block are you referring to thermalite? Blocks.
It’s the aerated breeze blocks.

Just winder will 95 to 100mm m8 or m10 coach bolts not work ? Using long plugs and just hammer the plug into the cavity ? Or perhaps those long hammer in type frame screws like these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-frame-fixings-8-x-120mm-10-pack/17480

It’s the aerated breeze blocks.

Just winder will 95 to 100mm m8 or m10 coach bolts not work ? Using long plugs and just hammer the plug into the cavity ? Or perhaps those long hammer in type frame screws like these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-frame-fixings-8-x-120mm-10-pack/17480
Have found only screw type plugs hold in those blocks everything that holds by expansion just pulls out .

Last edited:
Aim for about 50mm of screw into the wall plug, though they will allow a screw right thru them .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back