What kind of dormer roof is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please tell me what this is on the roof of this house? This is the second house I've seen with this funny type of structure and trying to understand what kind of dormer it is.

IMG_3059.JPG
IMG_3060.JPG
IMG_3061.JPG

Sponsored Links
I did think that originally, then remembered that firms said to me they couldn't install it on flat roofs, it had to be on south facing sloping planes. I then thought this was some sort of new roof design that allowed the roof to open up like a convertible car.

Do you need planning permission to install solar panels like this, given that it alters the view of the roof from the front (yes I know people sometimes have them on the front sloping side too)?

That installation would have required planning permission as they are above the highest part of the roof: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/solarpanels/

It could that they are stooled off the flat roof on brackets to raise them up so that they are not actually flat, difficult to see with the images.

Whatever the case they look absolutely horrific!

Sponsored Links
Can't you knock the door and get a better photo from the back garden?

Better still I'll ask my mate Dave to fly his drone over when he's finished hovering over Heathrow.

That projection (Solar panels or whatever) could be struck by a strong gust of wind and lift off with the roof!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back