What kind of wall to build?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I’m looking to have a wall build to seperate my neighbours garden from my own, my options are single or double skin concrete blocks or single or double brick wall. The length in’s 6.7 meters and 2 meters high, my question is would a single skin wall be enough long term will not break? Also what kind of foundations would I need thank you any advice would be great

Attachments

• 97166B55-A137-4799-A97D-D3030529D34D.jpeg
    97166B55-A137-4799-A97D-D3030529D34D.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 191F6703-6425-4906-B715-02F0E7E00D0E.jpeg
    191F6703-6425-4906-B715-02F0E7E00D0E.jpeg
    614.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 3D1A9239-AAD1-424F-9CC5-3AF9A91E0A98.jpeg
    3D1A9239-AAD1-424F-9CC5-3AF9A91E0A98.jpeg
    641.8 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
Only a diy'er, not a builder/brickie, however, I would certainly go for a double brick thickness. A single skin over that distance would be quite weak, especially at 2 metres high. The double woud be much more robust and aesthetically more easy on the eye than large blockwork.

Don't know how deep the foundations would need to be but I'd say you are looking at least 300mm deep but probably deeper. Don't forget, where it makes contact with your house you will need some form of damp proof protection to prevent migration of damp from the wall.

Hi thanks for the advice or could go for concrete post and wood panels?

Sponsored Links
I been getting rats into property aswell so just wanted the perimeter sealed, not even about the visual, I’m not bothered lol but I’m renting the property out so wanted it more tidy, would you leave it as it is? Thanks

Render would be an ideal solution as George engineer said, it would be far cheaper than a brick wall which would cost at least £3000.

While I'm inclined to agree, I think that garage is fairly likely to leak, so unless you invite the neighbour to get it rendered (as his project) and pay a contribution towards it, I would just erect a screening fence in front of it (with removable panels to allow him maintenance access - you're not required to but it's a neighbourly thing to do). Some people don't need much of an excuse to blame others.

Hi thanks all for your advice input I’m not worried about allowing him access he never ever asked my permission for anything he did when he did his building work, but I understand what you mean
So as far as I can think my options are

1 do nothing render on neighbour wall
2 single skin wall concrete block with pillar
3 double skin wall concrete block
4 concrete pillar and fence panels

You could use concrete posts and concrete panels? (not sure if that's your fourth option?)

It's very "council" or industrial but basically concrete gravel boards used to form a fence.
Rats can climb and burrow. They can bite through stuff and squeeze through tiny holes.
15mm is enough.

Couldn't you just seal the ends of the neighbour's wall to your property?
Or are they coming through his wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back