What made these zig-zag marks on pressure treated timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am currently working with some 6 metre long 2x6 timbers.

I have bought a number from the same supplier, but I have noticed that latest batch all have a zig-zag marking on them, and I would like to understand what it is.

It almost looks as if the timbers have been joined at that point.

I initially thought that it was just the marks from strapping but, on closer inspection it looks as if the two sides of the timber don't exactly match. In one location there is even a knothole on one side of the zig-zag that doesn't seem to continue on the other side.

I can't picture what process would have created this pattern, but wonder if it is part of the pressure treating process.

Can anybody please advise on what these marks are, and whether they in any way compromise the strength. I am currently using them to make rafters across a span of almost 5 metres.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What you've linked is C24/C16, which is structural timber - and I'm not convinced that the timbers you've been supplied (with those joints) is actually suitable to be graded C24/C16... builders on the forum could confirm.

It should have C24/C16 stamped on it, if so.

https://thecraftsmanblog.com/is-finger-joint-lumber-worth-it/

But then you ordered 6.0 metres, and that is perhaps too long for decently priced non-jointed equivalent

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
But then you ordered 6.0 metres, and that is perhaps too long for decently priced non-jointed equivalent
Almost all the C24 200 x 75 and 220 x 75 we were using last year was finger jointed lengths over about 5 metres (we even had a few 6.7 metre monsters). The grading is done after the finger jointing and 4/s machining and as modern glues are stronger than the wood it shouldn't be an issue

What you've linked is C24/C16, which is structural timber - and I'm not convinced that the timbers you've been supplied (with those joints) is actually suitable to be graded C24/C16... builders on the forum could confirm.

It should have C24/C16 stamped on it, if so.

https://thecraftsmanblog.com/is-finger-joint-lumber-worth-it/

Nozzle

Thanks. Other timber that I have bought from them do have stamps, but I cannot find any stamps on these 6m lengths that I bought recently.

Almost all the C24 200 x 75 and 220 x 75 we were using last year was finger jointed lengths over about 5 metres (we even had a few 6.7 metre monsters). The grading is done after the finger jointing and 4/s machining and as modern glues are stronger than the wood it shouldn't be an issue

Thanks @JobAndKnock. If it is C16/C24 as advertised, should it definitely have stamps on it?

All of the previous 4.8 metre timbers I have bought from the supplier have had stamps (a couple of examples below), but there is definitely nothing like it on the 6 metre ones I have bought recently.

It needs to be marked "CE Dry Graded" or the like and have the grading clearly marked, together with an identifier for the supplier. I've never seen structural stuff which wasn't marked (including the last big job I was on where we installed over 10k of C24 joists)

I would not use them for a pergola.
If you can't get full lengths, use two full joists joined by the side with connector bolts.

I would not use that crap for structural work - stud work and vertical maybe, but not for the likes of rafters or joists.

I would not use that crap for structural work - stud work and vertical maybe, but not for the likes of rafters or joists.
C24 8 x 3s are not really carcassing. Believe it or not thay are rated for it

I wonder if the glue really will last as long as the timber would do, or how it performs in a fire - timber will char and not necessarily fail, but if glue in a structural timber softens ....

Or should I just get with the 21st century. :cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back