What on earth is this below my floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I was lifting my floorboards on the first floor when I find this alien looking thing under the boards in a corner on the external wall.

IMG_20160724_155552.jpg

Anyone knows what this is and what I'm supposed to do with it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
wasp nest.

Verify that it is an old one and now dead.

Carefully detach it from the joists with a large sharp knife and donate it to a science teacher.

search for a water leak or other source of damp because they make the nest by chewing wood into paper.

Thank you John, you're absolutely right. I've now removed it.

There's nothing on that side that could have leaked so I'm now checking where they may have come from as there are no airbricks in the property. I'll be filling in those gaps between the joists and the wall with expanding foam (unless there's something better I could use??)

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Naaah, I checked with a moisture meter and it's fine. This is the same at the edges of all the joists where they rest on the external wall and is probably some preservative or similar treatment.

Dark stains on end of joist is a sign of water perpetration ?
This then causes the start of wet and dry rot in joists..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back