What paint for OSB ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have been gradually building a workshop over the past year, insulated timber with an inner cladding of OSB (sterling board)
I have painted it with some cheap white emulsion so it looks a bit better.
I am still in the process of wiring it up before it is in use which i expect to be in the next couple of weeks.
I have noticed on some areas of the walls and ceilings mould is forming. I reckon this is due to condensation.
What cheapish paint could i use to help avoid this returning once i have cleaned it ?

Sponsored Links
An oil based undercoat might be a temporary solution. But I'd recommend using an anti mould primer or even additive. However, as with all mould issues, testing it is the best way of solving it.
It is also worth knowing that mould cannot survive well in a room with a dehumidifier. So even a cheap dehumidifier would be a good idea.

Thanks for the reply.
I plan on having a dehumidifier and some heating in there once i have some electric. Its going to be a workshop so the finish is not all that important.
As for the cause there are definitely no leaks but it is well insulated and currently has no ventilation so i suppose it could be condensation.

it ought to have ventilation.

Does it have a concrete floor? is the concrete new, or damp?

Paint will not cure condensation or damp.

Sponsored Links
It is a concrete slab with a dpm over it then 50mm polystyrene and 18mm chipboard floor.
Walls 2 courses bricks with damp course, 4x2 timber with 75mm PIR insulation, external breather membrane and timber cladding. OSB internal walls.
Roof 7x2 with 100mm PIR insulation between timbers and 25mm underside with OSB ceiling, GRP covering.
When i get round to the electrics it will have an extractor fan fitted.

shouldn't be the floor, then. Maybe the brickwork is drying out.

You have good gutters?

Yes gutters are good and the brickwork should have dried by now, its taken about a year to get it to this stage.
I am just wondering whether it could be the temperature difference due to the fact its so well insulated and not ventilated.
I dont expect it will be an issue when its in use but would like to do something about it at the moment to try and prevent it taking hold.
Its green mold by the way.

green mould makes me think of a roof leak.

Black mildew is more common from condensation.

Post some pics.

No, this end gets most of the sun.
The door is probably in the shade most of the day but the opposite wall catches the sun most of the day and these are the most affected panels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back