What plaster board to use for a shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Quadrant Shower enclosure for corner of room.

I heard there's a special waterproof PB to use for building a shower? Is this true? What's the best way to fit/prepare for eventually tiling? I did one before and just PVA sealed std PB and tiled straight onto it with waterproof grout...

And what's the best way to seal to the tray?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you use Plasterboard in a bath/shower room it should be Moisture Resistant board not standard Wall Board. But if you use MR plasterboard in wet areas (inside shower/over bath) it should be tanked; easier, cheaper & better to use a waterproof tile backer board in wet areas, Aquapanel is one but there are several others. If you want to plaster over MR board it must be primed first.

Never prime a surface that’s being tiled with standard PVA, it’s not waterproof & will re-emulsify if it gets wet. Using PVA can affect tile adhesion & in wet areas could result in your tiles falling off the wall. Only use a primer if your chosen adhesive manufacturer recommends it & if they recommend PVA, chose a different/better tile adhesive.

If you use silicone to seal the tray to the wall before tiling, be careful how much you spread it around, not much sticks to silicon including adhesive & grout. I don’t do that & fit the tray close to the wall, tile down to within 2mm of the top of the tray, inject silicone into the gap & then apply a finishing silicone bead on the outside between the tile face & top of shower tray.

Use only quality trade adhesive/grout of the correct type for your walls/floors/tiles, not cheapo DIY stuff.

Thx for the info guys - in the shower where I fixed the tiles to the PVA'd plaster boarf=d, the grout is starting to go a 'red' colour at the bottom. I looked closely and the silicon had a few gaps. The grout was B&Q - presume this was a mistake!?

Sponsored Links
Too late now but the PVA was a really big mistake, as was probably the grout you used; but what make was it specifically? Regards the red stain in the grout it could be a reaction but who knows. The grout you used is probably not as important as the adhesive but if that was also crap :cry: It’s important you use quality materials, correct for the application &, IMO, some fall short of meeting the trades description act for such a product but I’m not about to challenge them; price is often but not always a good indication :LOL:

If you want further advice on how to make it all look good & last I can help but I fear it maybe too late unless you want to start over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back