what ramp gradient?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i need some advice, we are getting an extention built and considering a ramp as access, the missus is a childminder so she will be in and out with buggies and prams, (although she is registered to work from home we have had it confirmed work doent need to be suitable for a premises, deffo just a house), so what i need to know is, what is the max slope allowed, we have about 12' from the middle of the patio doors to the corner of the building with a drop of about 20" from new floor to existing ground, the ramp can turn the corner if required
cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
1 in 12 is usually considered the maximum. So with a difference in level of 20" (approx. 500mm), you'd be looking at a ramp of length 20' (approx. 6m). I can't remember or seem to find where it mentions the maximum length of ramp before a landing is required. I had a look in AD K, but it may well be mentioned in AD M.

Regs wise the OP can do any gradient that suits, its an existing dwelling. The OP could look at Part M for guidance though.

You can put a flat platform or decking across the back of the house, with the ramp parallel, going down from a platform at one end, and running down to ground level at the other end. Can look quite reasonable. In your case it sounds like the deck and the ramp would both need to be about 20' wide.

Balustrade or railings to prevent people falling off the edge of the deck.

Sponsored Links
IIRC disabled access requires 1 in 12 maximum gradient, and a 1600mm level landing at each turn, and at each door/gateway.

Having spent a fair amount of time pushing a wheelchair, I would personally prefer to see steeper gradients to a multitude of turns, but the landings are an important feature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back