What Saw to Use for Cutting Thin Wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have a thin panel of pine, about 8mm thick, that goes on the ceiling.

I need to cut a rectangle out of it. What saw should I use? I'm thinking a panel saw, but what kind of teeth rating would it need?

Sponsored Links
method off doing it depends on several things
the size off the cut out
do you need to keep both haves intact and matching
can you you get away with a 8mm hole in diagonally opposite corners?

The image below shows the rectangle I need to cut out of the panel.

I'm thinking of buying a 20in panel saw that has 8 teeth per inch. Would that be the right tool for the job?

Sponsored Links
hi, on that work i personally use a panel saw with as little teeth per inch as possible for the two verticle cuts, but stop about 20mm from your corners then finish with a jigsaw fitted with a downcutter blade

tom

do you need to keep the cut out bit matching and intact ??

hi, on that work i personally use a panel saw with as little teeth per inch as possible for the two verticle cuts, but stop about 20mm from your corners then finish with a jigsaw fitted with a downcutter blade. tom
Do you mean "as many teeth per inch as possible"? The more teeth per inch the finer the cut, but the slower it will cut, which is why log saws have few teeth per inch and hacksaws have many.
I remember reading somewhere that you should aim to have at least 3 teeth actually cutting at any one time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back