What screw do I need to open Virgin Powerline adapter?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plugged in a Virgin Powerline adapter and it blew the fuse inside

I can't open. It's got special screws.
The seems to be a small dimple in the middle of the screw
+ not all the screws seem to be the same!!
Left hand screws have dimples and right hand screws don't.

See pics below.

HZqTYHp.jpg

aTtnmE6.jpg

(Apologies in advance - I know this is forum is for electrics and NOT electronics - but I was hoping someone here will know my answer anyway!)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Aha... torx? OK.
I have some. See pic below.
dbwMK4i.jpg

PROBLEM: the smallest one is too big. I need smaller screws?

Another problem: for the bottom screws, I need a long neck. The standard bits won't be able to fit.
See pic below:
ZOv540w.jpg

So where would I get the size I need?

@sparkymarka Not worth it? Well... if I can get a fuse changed - ASSUMING this is all that's needed, I can sell for £40 a pair of plugs

What happened: I plugged in the big unit and reset. Then I plugged in the smaller unit and heck I saw fire for 1-2 seconds! The house electrics got tripped. There was burning smell. So... still assuming it still needs a fuse change!

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Damn it!
I'll not waste my time getting screw bits to open up

I can still sell one of the units though

I've revived some other brand powerline units but they quietly curled up and died rather anything more exciting, unless it's a really simple throughhole cap replacement or the like you're normally wasting your time on kit like this.

Are they a dome sticking out? Picture done show if concave or convex.
Virgin wall box use Nintendo security screw adapter. Looks like that.

This type

Gamebit Security Screwdriver, Double-Ended 4.5mm 3.8mm Gamebit Screwdriver Bit Set Replacement,Gamebit Security Screwdriver Kit Compatible with NES,SNES,N64,PS4,PS5 https://amzn.eu/d/37FM7mP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back