What screws for wallplate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What sort of screws should I use to hold a wallplate onto 3.6N Celcon blocks and at what distance intervals?

Sponsored Links
2" 8's or metric equivalent thereof will be fine every 18".

You don't screw wall plates down - they can still lift .. and are especially crap in aerated blocks

Strap down every 2m with 1m long straps

You avin a larf....! :eek:

Considering most wall plates are 3" thick what would be the point.

As Woodstock has stated there is no point fixing to the top course as it will lift off the bed.

However, there is nowt wrong with temporarily fixing it down whilst setting out the roof. We often do this because fitting the straps prematurely can create conflict with joist and rafter seatings.

Use 100mm 6's Or 4" 12's in old money.

Sponsored Links
You avin a larf....! :eek:

Considering most wall plates are 3" thick what would be the point.

Not at all noseall. I assumed the OP was enquiring about screwing the strap to the face of the masonry (to which my original reply still stands), although re-reading his post it appears he wants to fix through the top of the wall plate into the top of the block. As you say, this would require a min 100mm fixing, although it is not the usual fixing detail.

The OP might want to fix a plate against a wall to support the high end of a lean-to roof.

The OP might want to fix a plate against a wall to support the high end of a lean-to roof.
Indeed he might or even at the low end for the ceiling joists.

When fixing any timber that is in excess of 50mm thick i would always recommend 4" 12's. Again, it makes sense to use screws initially so that they don't interferes with the joist or rafter settings, however in order to satisfy B.C. you must then pop a few sleeve anchor bolts between the rafters, just for show of course! ;)

Indeed he might or even at the low end for the ceiling joists.

When fixing any timber that is in excess of 50mm thick i would always recommend 4" 12's. Again, it makes sense to use screws initially so that they don't interferes with the joist or rafter settings, however in order to satisfy B.C. you must then pop a few sleeve anchor bolts between the rafters, just for show of course! ;)

It's for a flat foor for a detached garage

Your comment - just for show of course. Living in built up suburbia, I'd be amazed if the roof lifted off in high winds. Are the straps really necessary (no BC on this garage)?

I'm probably going to put the bent straps on the outside only which will be rendered over anyway, but I don't fancy seeing them internally on the bare blockwork

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back