What screws to use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I want screw a piece of wood to a metal strip. The wood is 20mm thick. The metal strip is about 2 or 3mm thick. I can't get behind the metal strip, to use nuts and bolts. The gap behind the metal strip is about 15mm.
Please could you tell me what sort of screws I should be using? It would be better if they were rustproof.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
For 'rustproof', they need to be stainless, zinc plated (BZP) only last so long outside.

If you drill the right size pilot, any normal self-tapping stainless screws will work.

"Self drilling" screws are available, but not sold in as many head types/lengths/finishes/etc, so might be impossible to find exact ones to suit your dimensions.

If it needs to be very strong also, then drilling and tapping the hole first is the best option IMHO(without going overboard with rivnuts, etc). That way you are then free to use whatever machine screws you like in terms of head style, etc.

Last edited:
Hi
I want screw a piece of wood to a metal strip. The wood is 20mm thick. The metal strip is about 2 or 3mm thick. I can't get behind the metal strip, to use nuts and bolts. The gap behind the metal strip is about 15mm.
Please could you tell me what sort of screws I should be using? It would be better if they were rustproof.
Thanks.
Would be more helpful to tell us what you are trying to achieve.?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice on self tapping screws. I had never heard of them before. And thanks for the Screwfix link.
I only need half a dozen screws. Can you tell me what drill bit size I would need for drilling a hole in the metal, if I get no. 8 screws?
Thanks

I'm not sure. I think it is just painted steel. Does it make a difference?

Use a 3.5mm HSS drill then. If it was something softer like aluminium, I would have said 3.0mm.

I suppose what I was thinking is it a smaller hole that the screw size, or is it a size 8 drill bit, for the self tapping no. 8 screw?
Thanks.

Thanks rsgaz. I think I posted just as you did. I'll see if I can get a small amount of screws and drill bit from ebay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back