What should go on the balance valve of WHC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my hot water cylinder relocated last week. Previously, everything cold-side except the kitchen tap was connected to the cylinders balancing valve (OSO Super S).

The plumber moving said he didn't want to do it that way, and anything other than a shower should not be balanced at it reduced flow. And in fact as I had thermostatic showers there wasn't really any need to use the balanced output at all.

Is this the correct, or a correct, approach?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Nope - not correct IMO, any outlets that mix hot and cold within the body should be balanced for correct operation and avoids any issues. It also ensures proper calibration and any thermo valves etc work properly. It shouldn't reduce flow as such, rather matches the flow hot to cold as the cold supply should be capable of supplying if it's been surveyed correctly. It best practice to use the balanced feed with an unvented, that's why it's there.

It's not really for the plumber to say nah - I don't want to do it that way - sounds more like he wants to avoid the extra work TBH

Nope - not correct IMO, any outlets that mix hot and cold within the body should be balanced for correct operation and avoids any issues. It also ensures proper calibration and any thermo valves etc work properly. It shouldn't reduce flow as such, rather matches the flow hot to cold as the cold supply should be capable of supplying if it's been surveyed correctly. It best practice to use the balanced feed with an unvented, that's why it's there.

It's not really for the plumber to say nah - I don't want to do it that way - sounds more like he wants to avoid the extra work TBH

All our mixer taps seem to have a hot and a cold stream, with hot in the centre. Plumber thought a thermostatic valve would deal with the imbalance?

He was happy to do either way, just said the way it already was wasnt the best. It was in fact a bit more work the way he did, as it was moving the cylinder to a completely new location.

A thermo-valve will adjust temps yes but it works best and will react faster when the supplies are balanced, mixer valves are also happier with balanced supplies, it's the whole point of a balanced feed being supplied as part of the UV combi valve.

If there is an issue with cold pressure then that's a separate issue all together, that shouldn't alter whether the balanced feed should be used or not IMO.

Is it a show stopper, really depends on how much of a pressure difference there is, is it best practice - yes

Sponsored Links
A thermo-valve will adjust temps yes but it works best and will react faster when the supplies are balanced, mixer valves are also happier with balanced supplies, it's the whole point of a balanced feed being supplied as part of the UV combi valve.

If there is an issue with cold pressure then that's a separate issue all together, that shouldn't alter whether the balanced feed should be used or not IMO.

Is it a show stopper, really depends on how much of a pressure difference there is, is it best practice - yes

Cheers Rob,
It would be a half hour job to fix, so I'll have a chat with him again. Your help is greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back