Shower Pressure Balancing

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
My guest room has a MIRA mixer shower. The hot water comes from the cylinder fed from the cistern and has a head of 10metres. The cold is off the incoming main and has a pressure reducing valve with a gauge on it, to balance the pressure. Both are 15mm. This is a hard-water area but I have an ion-exchange softener.

between guests the valve seems to stick shut, I usually turn on the guest's basin cold tap and screw the pressure adjuster in and out until it starts to flow.

This week I tried that but no flow. I think I should buy a new pressure reducer, since balancing showers seem rather expensive. Not something I've ever bought before. What should I look for, and how to I make sure I get something suitable; preferably one that won't seize?

Sponsored Links
I tend to fit Caleffi PRVs - they're commonly available.

I don't get to see any that don't have a fairly frequent flow through them, but the ones I fit have never given me a problem (i.e. a call back).

Thanks

I just had a look at the old one, it is a Caleffi too, but brass and less smooth in shape. It looks like it is a 22mm one with 15mm reducers. I think I had the shower and valve installed about 8 years ago.

I presume there is some kind of spring/plunger/needle valve inside, do you suppose it would do me any good to tinker with it?

There is a big black plastic slotted plug that screws in and out, don't know what happens if I screw it out all the way.

Seeing as a new one would be about £30, I can see that you'd be inclined to attempt to fix it, but I can't help you as I've never tried to take one apart. Sorry.

Sponsored Links
Ta.

I have now bought an Aqualisa Pressure Balancing shower mixer, so I should be able to dispense with the troublesome balancing valve. (fingers crossed).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back