Pressure Balance valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The problem is the age old one of being in the shower and someone else runs water, this will reduce the pressure in either hot or cold flow. Am I right in thinking that all the balanced pressure valve does is to maintain the BALANCE of the hot and cold feed to the shower head as set by the individual at that time? The reason for this apparently daft question is because I have been told that the valve maintains the pressure to the shower head regardless of other activities in the rest of the house/system. If I am correct then it seems to me that to maintain the pressure to the shower would require a separate feed from the mains pipe owned by the water company. Please put me right or confirm. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I dont think the valve you describe would answer your problem, you would also need to consider fitting a Hydronic Accumulator a balancing valve can't create pressure & flow, only restict it, so the HA route would make more sense take a look at ****
;)

Looks like an ad. **** Use Google. Mod

THanks. Although you have not given me a smiley face sticker I think you have confirmed my understanding of the balancing valve. I am absolutely sure you are right regarding the HA and the link is excellent re an explanation. Primarily my question was an academic one. I am pretty sure the cost of an HA will be outside the budget. You only need to have a shower in a high pressure, high flow rate area once and after everything seems pants. Cheers

An accumulator for that :eek: :rolleyes: .

Sure, or you could have a break tank and pump set if you happen to have an empty cellar and a couple of grand going begging.

I have been told that the valve maintains the pressure to the shower head regardless of other activities in the rest of the house/system.
Nonsense.

A pressure balancing valve will match the higher pressure to the lower one, so you don't get extra water, but at least the balance (= temperature ), stays the same.
You won't match the mains down to a gravity supply, but small changes such as you describe should be OK.

You don't say if you're on gravity or mains and it matters, but the steps you might take would be to flow controllers into the non-critical outlets to stop them going over some adequate level which stops the trouble, or put a small pump on the shower supplies.

Sponsored Links
THanks again. I really am feeling chuffed with understanding. The system is utilising a combi boiler so pumps on the showers are definitely out. To be honest with only three of us in the house it should not be difficult to organise (one is only 10 weeks old) and I have been living with that type of problem for many years - big deal. But thanks again

an equalising valve will stabilise the temperature as said even if the pressure goes up or down on either supply.
the water coming out will still vary if other outlets are used, but at least you can shower safe in the knowledge you won't get scalded or a sudden cold shower!

it should also help to stop the boiler from going on / off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back