What should I be earning ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm a chippy working for a building firm in the south East. We have 8 guys full time and I know that we charge more than other firms. I did my 3 year apprenticeship with them. Now I'm 23 and have been there nearly 6 years. I go from job to job doing jobs big and small with no issues, lots of happy customers so that's all good.

I'd like to ask for a raise but not sure whats reasonable to be asking ? I run my own van but get fuel paid. Currently on 10.10 an hour.

Sponsored Links
Maybe start @£ 11.50 but more important in my opinion is the Workplace Pension. I had a few years with a pension scheme. I was lucky too that Plumbing had set rates and also I was in a Union for a while. Start @ £11.50 and agree @ £11.10. Let's hear what others think.

Can't really say for joiners but Painters and Decorators full time with someone would be getting anywhere from 100-160 per day . Depends if there on site or commercial etc

£80 a day, you could probably get that in the workhouse

Sponsored Links
By providing your own tools (I presume), including the most expensive tool of the lot: a van, you are subsidising your employer. Yes, thats right. You are paying them so that you can work there.

You are also providing a young healthy body that is a wasting asset every day in the building trades.
You have to earn that money while you are young or quickly become self employed.

Be ruthless for money - no one will give it to you you must be demanding.
How can you even rent a home at that wage, never mind a mortgage in the SE of England.
Your goal should be to be getting £1000/week as soon as possible.

Ignore the pennies go for at least £15/hr plus a new written arrangement ref. the van - go hire a van for a day or keep a Taxi waiting a few hours. No free lunches in life or the building trades.

No disrespect, VanMan, but....

Aldi to increase staff wages to minimum of £8.40 an hour | Business .

www.theguardian.com › Business › Aldi
25 Oct 2015 - Aldi has pledged to increase staff wages to a minimum rate of £8.40 per hour from February next year. The company has confirmed that all of its UK employees will be paid at least£8.40 an hour, and £9.45 an hour in London, from 1 February 2016.

So, currently, you get £64 per week (based on 40 hours) more than an Aldi shelf stocker. And from that £64 you pay for your van upkeep, and, presumably supply your own tools.

Their trainee and actual managers are on excellent rates, apparently.

I am also guessing that you don't get a lot of sick pay, or a great pension scheme?

Having said that, the benefit is that you don't have t work in Aldis:)

Last edited:
£10.10 per hour, how much paid holidays? (the statutory minimum is 28 days by the way), pension?

You... run your own van??? maintenance, servicing, MOT, tax, insurance etc? that's thousands a year including purchase costs

Do you buy all your own tools too?

10.10/hr for 37.5 hrs and 52 weeks (including your paid holidays) is £19.695

It does depend how fast/slow/skilled you are and whatnot but after your own expenses your wages seem rather low, I'd be looking for a significant increase. What are the other 7 guys on?

I was aware it wasn't the greatest pay. I do 48 hr weeks and private jobs at the weekend so it's not felt so bad. Thanks for the replies will get on it

I was aware it wasn't the greatest pay. I do 48 hr weeks and private jobs at the weekend so it's not felt so bad. Thanks for the replies will get on it

Don't let all the comments get you down - there are lots of tradesmen being underpaid. But look to move on, unless there is a good reason otherwise. BTW, being self employed doesn't guarantee the big bucks either.

There are no guarantees in life or self-employment, however, the time to take a few risks is when one is young. Plus the learning curve can be massively worthwhile if one went back on wages.

Dont look at the tradespeople who are underpaid look at those pulling it in. The only way you will "get on it" is by doing it.

£10 an hour? **** me, I hope you're dog rough for that kind of money!

Want a job? 50% pay rise. Up north, where the pennies go twice as far too..

being self employed doesn't guarantee the big bucks either.

Most certainly not, you will find some of your time tied up with admin, chasing work etc. have to take into account times when you have no work. No holiday pay, pension or other benefits of being employed. Not everyone is cut out to be self-employed either, running their own business.
But that being said it can be very satisfying and liberating, ploughing your own furrow. the freedom within reason to take time off when you want and work the hours you want. I don't think I could ever go back to a fully employed job of any kind now.

If you are using your own van HMRC say you should be getting 45p per mile tax free,this was when I did it a few years ago so it might have gone up

Hell I charge £15 per hour for cutting grass.....
For car work it's £25 per hour, but that's menu priced so you win some, lose some.
Grass machinery repairs it's £20 per hour but I reckon I can sort most things in two hours.
Van use is 45p per mile.
Tradesmen up here = £180 per day, diesel extra, with painters / plasterers a bit less.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back