1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

What size breaker for removing walls

Discussion in 'Tools and Materials' started by phatboy, 22 Jul 2020.

1. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

If I go ahead with a self-build extension, I have a couple of 4" thick block walls to remove, and a large section of 215mm block wall to remove. Might take down the garage myself too.

I already have this, which was excellent for chasing, but wonder if it's man enough for taking walls down?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001TX1BJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's 5.2Kg, and delivers 5 joules of power.

Should I be looking for something bigger? It will no doubt be used for other bits and pieces, like breaking chunks of foundation away and breaking up blocks.

Thanks
    Tim

2. Sponsored Links
  3. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hammer. Chisel. Crowbar. Shovel.

4. Charlie George

Charlie George

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  5. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    Last edited: 22 Jul 2020
  6. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Makita will stand years of abuse on building sites and parts will be available for mamy years to come. So good for trade users. Not so sure that a DIYer would get the use out of it, though

7. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    this size breaker:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sponsored Links
  9. johnny2007

johnny2007

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    16 pound sledgehammer and a big whack.
    My cousin 20 years ago took down an extension with one blow in the right spot.
    To be honest it wasn't the strongest construction I saw.

10. Old Salt

Old Salt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I demolished an old brick garage with a sledge. Only used a breaker to cut up the concrete lintels so I could transport them to the tip.

11. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was looking for the less labour intensive method, especially for the 9" block-on-flat wall.

Would be great, but being down in Jersey there is no screwfix, and they won't ship here! Other shipping options are of course available, but the warranty would be useless :(

I already have the Makita, but not sure if it is gutsy enough for demolition? It's done great job chiselling and coring, but never tried it with demolition, except some concrete steps which it failed at!

I'm willing to invest in a used, decent brand item, for the convenience of having it there whenever I need something, as opposed to hiring for a day / week.

Thanks

12. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The difficulties with buying this sort of stuff secondhand are that:

1. This sort of stuff tends to be trade use so a lot of it will be 110 volt (site regs) and therefore would need a transformet

2. By its nature demolition equipment often has s very hard life in trade use

3. In my experience at least trade often tends to get shot of demolition gear when it is shot although you might get lucky

4. Without having used the stuff it can be difficult to assess if a piece of kit is in good working order or not. Bit like buying a new car you are unfamiliar with

I generally borrow breakers from our brickies. Favourites are Hilti TE1000 and Kango 950 (Milwaukee)

13. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If that Makita you have won't split the joints on a few concrete blocks I don't know what will.

14. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's all about technique.
    Hammer/chisel/bar can be the easiest and most efficient method for most walls. You need to work it so that the wall and gravity does most of the work, not knocking one block at a time off from the top, and not standing there for ages holding a machine to vibrate your soul away thinking its easier.

• Like Like x 1