what size lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there i am after taking a wall down to make my kitchen and dining room one big kitchen.
the wall span is 2.75m and the joist for upstiars are resting on the wall and there is a block wall above as well ,so i need some advice on what size lintel to use and what type.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You're probably looking at a 203*102 UB with 150mm end bearings but without more precise details difficult to say. Maybe get away with something smaller with calcs but you would need an SE to confirm - Static or Ronny may advise if you can provide photos / layout details / number of floors supported etc. Maybe get away with a proprietary Catnic/IG.

Either way it will need BRegs notification / inspection.

wayne1983";p="1868587 said:
hi there i am after taking a wall down to make my kitchen and dining room one big kitchen.
the wall span is 2.75m and the joist for upstiars are resting on the wall and there is a block wall above as well ,so i need some advice on what size lintel to use and what type.

thanks

Hi there is only one wall above which is just over 3.8m long and 2.4 high it's breeze at 100mm thick

Hi I have taken a load bearing wall down to open my kitchen up. But where the lintel needs to go there is on on the outside wall spanning the out side door and window, how do I get round this.

Sponsored Links
But where the lintel needs to go there is on on the outside wall spanning the out side door and window, how do I get round this.

Eh? Sorry wayne I can't make sense of what you've written there. Can you post a photo / draw a diagram? Do you mean the end-bearing for the lintel needs to sit on the external wall - if so you've only got a 100mm bearing on the inner leaf :?:

Make sure you've supported the joists above - as that wall you've taken down was carrying the floor load from above :!:

Hi there no pics at the mon sorry. What I mean is the lintel I need to put in to support the joists and wall above will not go 150mm into the external wall as there is a lintel there that spans the window and door on the external wall.
Hope this helps

Thanks

Yeah, 203x102 or *possibly* a 178x102 UB...or a suitable Catnic...

So you've already taken the wall down? How is the load above currently supported?
What I mean is the lintel I need to put in to support the joists and wall above will not go 150mm into the external wall as there is a lintel there that spans the window and door on the external wall.
Ah, well you should have left a couple of hundred mm as a pier at that end to bear the beam onto.
You might be able to put the beam in below the lintel spanning over the external window...but not a good solution...you would need to be very careful about affecting the existing bearing of the lintel, and would need a decent padstone below.

Prob best to rebuild a pier in engineering bricks at the problem end..

What did your drawings to building control have on them?

I've got a picture in my mind of the new opening lintel bearing perpendicular above an existing opening in a kitchen window/door arrangement. But that would have meant the existing wall that the OP has now removed would have fouled the window/door opening so it can't be right............ :confused:

We need pictures! :LOL: :LOL: undoubtably piers will be the answer as above.

I've got a picture in my mind of the new opening lintel bearing perpendicular above an existing opening in a kitchen window/door arrangement. But that would have meant the existing wall that the OP has now removed would have fouled the window/door opening so it can't be right............ :confused:
I was imagining the wall coming in just past the edge of the window...exactly where the bearing for the existing lintel would be :?:

... the lintel I need to put in .... will not go 150mm into the external wall

Will it go 100mm in?

You really need to post an image or a simple sketch as there are lots of possible solutions, and its a waste of time going through them all

Yes it will go in 100mm. I am thinking of using an rsj now instead of a concrete lintel, any idea what size to use anybody please.

Thankyou

Are you saying there's an external lintel but no internal lintel? :confused:

Yes it will go in 100mm. I am thinking of using an rsj now instead of a concrete lintel, any idea what size to use anybody please.
203x102 or maybe 178x102 or suitable Catnic as said above...you'll still need to get calcs done though. 100mm bearing will be enough if you've got a large enough padstone...

Wayne, help us to help you, and post a photo up and you will get much more detailed info. We can then tell you exactly what you need to do re piers / padstones / steels / bearings and what to write on your BRegs app. :cool:

Wayne, help us to help you, and post a photo up and you will get much more detailed info. We can then tell you exactly what you need to do re piers / padstones / steels / bearings and what to write on your BRegs app. :cool:
Or simply employ an SE to sort the calcs out for you..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back