What size meter tails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Existing cu is a six way wylex with rewireable fuses fed by 16 mm tails. A 10 kw shower is to be fitted in bathroom for the present, but in view of the fact that a future extension to the house is planned we thought it wise to replace the wylex with a ten way unit to include an 80 amp rcd. The existing installation includes 2x 30 amp rings.2x6amp lighting ccts. 1x cooker cct. and an emersion htr. cct. For the future extension a further ring cct and another lighting cct would be required.

Question is would 16 mm tails be ok or would an upgrade to 25 mm be more acceptable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
With respect, if you do not know the answer to those basic questions then you should not be doing this work yourself.
What you are contemplating is the equivalent of a heart lung transplant on your house and you wont get past 'go' if you DIY it and notify -as you should.

I would suggest you have this done, properly, by a competent spark. See
www.competentperson.co.uk for someone in your area.

16mm tails and CU already in situ - I would consider leaving the tails as is if the MD and OPD obliged.

HOWEVER.

Any CU change that is done, there is little excuse not to upgrade the tails, unless the metering position is remote from the CU.

No mention of earthing - what size main earth is currently in use, and what size (if any) main eq bonding?

Lectrician said:
16mm tails and CU already in situ - I would consider leaving the tails as is if the MD and OPD obliged.

HOWEVER.

Any CU change that is done, there is little excuse not to upgrade the tails, unless the metering position is remote from the CU.

No mention of earthing - what size main earth is currently in use, and what size (if any) main eq bonding?

Or the size of the main fuse.
It's no good adding all the extra load if he's running a 60A fuse and 40A meter (which I see on many occasions).

Sponsored Links
OPD = MAIN FUSE.

MD = Maximum demand. When I say MD, I would hope people would assume that I meant max demand as long as with in scope of supply/metering - Common sense, no?

Lectrician said:
OPD = MAIN FUSE.

MD = Maximum demand. When I say MD, I would hope people would assume that I meant max demand as long as with in scope of supply/metering - Common sense, no?

Fair enough, shot down in flames (should read the post properly) :oops:

Missed the acronym of OPD though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back