what size radiator do I need

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok, might be like asking how long a ball of a string is but..

I am decorating a bedroom. It has a 600 x 600 double rad behind the door (room is not warm enough). I want to remove this and fit a new one under the window. The window is 1750mm. I was thinking that a 1400mm rad would look right under the window, but cant decide whether or not to fit a double or single.

The bedrom is approx 13ft by 11ft.

Do you think a double is over kill?

(just had the boiler replaced a few months back, im sure it will handle either). Yes i have double glazing and insulation in loft!

Sponsored Links
you say room is not warm enough but is the rad itself getting hot all over?

yes old rad was working fine. I am replacing it (moving it) mainly for the look and practical reasons.

just want to know if a 1400 double is over kill please?

personally I would put an 1800 rad under the window, it will look about right. You will be fitting it with a TRV so it won't overheat the room.

I have a bedroom about that size with an 1800 x 600 double.

I like a big rad because it has the capacity to warm the room quickly, e.g. if the house has been empty, and has capacity to cope with unusually cold weather.

Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD i am persauded to fit a large double. one question though. The window is 1750, do you think an 1800 will look about right? i would of thought i should get one slightly smaller rather than larger.

Does the measurememnt 1800 include the length of valves please?

no, valves will stick out a bit.

just look for the rad nearest in size to your window

if you have curtains, they will visually widen the appearance of the window

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back