What Size Radiator do I need.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help. I have been on several web site and used calculators to find out the correct size and each site gives a different answer. Can anyone recomend a reliable site or give me the answer. The measurements of the kitchen is

Height 2.4m
Width2.86m
Length 4.30m

It has two external walls, neither north facing
I have double glazed windows (2 square meters)
A concrete floor
The room above is a heated room
My walls are brick with cavity wall insulation

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I'll second that, I make it 1.1kw required but my calculator only goes to one decimal place and rounds up, an 800×600 P+ is 1076w which is about half a gnat's fart away from 1.1kw so that should be fine

Sponsored Links
My old Barlo calculator gives 1649 watts, made up as follows:

External walls - 301W (Brick/brick, filled cavity)
Windows - 64W each (UPVC d/glazed)
Floor -576W (solid concrete floor)
Air changes - 429W (2 changes per hour as it is a kitchen)

Total 1434W
15% Heat up allowance 215W

Rad size = 1649

This is based on external temp of -1C and internal of 21C.

It also assumes no internal heat losses between rooms, i.e they are all at 21C.

I rest my case :confused: So do I need a 1.1 kw 1.47kw or 1.64 kw (which I am assuming that is what a 1649 watts is).

Also, maybe I should have mentioned this in my original post. I am after more the BTUs as I am wanting a fancy tall slim radiator to fit in with my new fitted kitchen :D

Thanks in advance again.

I rest my case :confused: So do I need a 1.1 kw 1.47kw or 1.64 kw (which I am assuming that is what a 1649 watts is).
Just because the answers are different, does not mean that they are wrong! Each one has made different assumptions about the construction of the property, which affects the heat loss and therefore the radiator size. For example: you say that the windows are double glazed. I have assumed they are UPVC frames, but if they are aluminium frames the heat loss could be as much as 100W each.

I am wanting a fancy tall slim radiator to fit in with my new fitted kitchen
Don't forget that cooking will generate a lot of heat, so you may be able to fit a smaller rad than the 1.649kW (say 1.65kW ;) ) that I suggested. However this means you would not be so well equipped in very cold winters.

I would be inclined fit the largest one that will go in the space allowed.

Wxdxh = m3, divide by 24 (Gives a kitchen room temp of 18 degrees) = 1.23kw.

Look in merchants catalogue and find a radiator to suit the Kw output.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back