What sort of circuit do I have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved into a new house and I need to change the bathroom light; it has no cover on the back or front so steam is getting both into the fitting and into the void above it.

The wiring is a bit unexpected though, and provides no earth to the light itself. Can anyone tell me what this type of circuit is, and whether it can provide an earth so I can fit the new light myself? Or do I need to get my nice electrician round? I have attached a diagram of what I have.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
The cable on the far right probably goes to a bathroom fan with an overrun feature and therefore needs both a switched and permanent live. In your diagram the switched live is yellow.

The three shorter cables in your diagram are as follows:

Left - cable to the switch. The red is the permanent live and the black is the switched live coming back from the switch. This black cable should have a red sleeve.

Middle/Right - these cables are the incoming supply and the supply to the next light.

If you need an earth connection to your new light this can be obtained from the terminal with yellow/green cables in the central choc block.

Thanks diyer, you are totally right - there is a fan with an overrun and I had completely forgotten that. So I can just run an additional earth from the 'third' choc block to the light?

Sponsored Links
I replaced the light, with an earth, and everything is rosy.

However, the bathroom is now incredibly steamy - far beyond the capabilities of my old fan - so I am replacing it with a new Xpelair DX100H since that has a humidistat. But what keeps me awake at night is the thought of all the steam that must have been disappearing through the light socket and up into the cavity between the downstairs ceiling and the upstairs floor.

Does anyone know of any kind of damp/rot/mould prevention I should use? I spotted the problem as soon as we moved in but it was previously a rented property, it might have been open like that for years.......

Thanks!

From my experience only, my guess is that you will find minimal damage.

Take some pics and post them here if you want an opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back