What standard percentage retained for incomplete job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had solar panels fitted today - to get them done for the changes in FIT on Monday ...

Due to have a 4 kw system but only 3kw worth of panels available in time ... so now have a 3kw system up and fitted ...with remaining panels due in max 4 weeks...

What percentage retainer (if any) would be standard in a case like this?

Sponsored Links
isnt a final bill due in 28 days,so tell them your pay full amount when FULL job is completed.

Sponsored Links
I know....:confused: that's what I thought
I didn't want to go into too much detail cos wanted unbiased opinion...

Basically the job has been done by people (a company) I know well...are friends (although I know one partner much better than the other) ...I know where they live!!!!
They have worked with me - holding a slot so I could get in before the tarriff change -even though I didn't pay the deposit when I should have etc
(because I was trying to get this loan thing but that is now not going to happen in time )
They have been let down by their supplier..
they are very apologetic and have said to just pay what I think...
I would be inclined just to pay it all ...but then think (human nature) I might then get put to the bottom of the pile - so maybe I should hold onto a retainer :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't pretend to know much about solar but it appears they have fitted 75% to date so why not just pay 75%.

It is more than 75% ...all the wiring is done, the inverter and meter fitted, the rails are ready for the last panels ....etc

Basically it took them 12hrs to do the job...(they did hit another snag so it took longer than anticipated)
Fitting the panels will take them an hour or so ...longest bit will be putting up the scaffolding tower...
I think I'll have to have a really honest chat to the one I know the best...

(I hate stuff like this - why can't anything ever be straight forward!!!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back