What System for a Small Cupboard

Doctor Drivel";p="831661 said:
Avoid an unvented cylinder. They can go booom. ...and an annual service charge. A waste of time when superior failsafe solutions are about.

There ARE other ways, but bear in mind "they can go boom" is Drivels mantra. He is aka "watersystems" and was making similar chants. The boom was associated with early and in some cases probably diy attempts to configure a standard cylinder to unvented. If you google it, you can find one reference to a test explosion, so it was deliberate.

Unvented cylinders are constructed to meet strict requirements, and have seven safety devices including the two thermostats in the boiler. ALL of them going wrong wrong at once is unlikely.

Sponsored Links
Avoid an unvented cylinder. They can go booom. ...and an annual service charge. A waste of time when superior failsafe solutions are about.

There ARE other ways, but bear in mind "they can go boom"

A vented heat bank is failsafe. Do you understand. It outperforms an unvented cylinder and costs about the same. Why would anyone with half a brain go for an unvented cylinder? Fitters do because they get a good cut on it - and they tell the customers they are good and never tell them a potential bomb is in the house - as they go on their expensive holiday and buy the next BMW.

...and they say they have safety devices and can't explode...and the Titanic was unsinkable too.

Come on Drivel, throw some insults!
Lets see if you can this thread locked as well!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
get yourself down the pub and stop worrying about it. its gonna break down watever coz all new boilers have got too much on em to go wrong.

I have a 1/2 inch water supply and the gas pipe seems to be 3/4 inch. Does that constrain the choice (either Stored Water or Combi).
The Heatbank system would be nice if it fitted. Any alternatives?
(DD forgot the original point about the access)

I have a 1/2 inch water supply and the gas pipe seems to be 3/4 inch. Does that constrain the choice (either Stored Water or Combi).
The Heatbank system would be nice if it fitted. Any alternatives?
(DD forgot the original point about the access)

In any mains pressure system you need pressure and flow. Time the filling of bucket in litres/min. What is the pressure in bar? If OK a changing of the maintap to a full bore tap will help. Have a dedicated 22mm from the maintap to a high flow combi even if the mains is 15mm. Space is your problem, so a quality combi is the solution. You will not look back.

The gas pipe will need to be 22mm and maybe a short length of 28mm at the meter. It has to be sized. Get back when you have chosen your small cased Ethos 54kW.

I think RCM Copperform make a narrow unvented cylinder. UltraSteel if my memory serves.
Superb Simond. Found it straight away. Ultrasteel HE Slim. It quotes 478mm in steel casing and 428mm in foam casing. I'd prefer a steel casing but looks like I'll have to compromise.
So it's starting to look like a standard boiler and this slimline unless anybody has other thoughts?

Simond. I'm not getting any response from RCM Copperform. There Technical email address bounced (but Sales went through). I really want to know that the dimension quoted includes the foam. I downloaded a pdf file and it looks identical to the Tribune Slimline. Tribune however, don't list one just in foam (all in steel jacket). Do you know if this is worth following up?

Heh. Guess what. The Albion Slimcyl HE 210 looks to be the same cylinder as well.
So who actually makes it?

Best use a high flow combi as first choice. If for some strange reason you have been convinced not to go that route then a small heat bank. Piped right it will combine the output of the cylinder and the boiler. Look at DPSs GVX. Heated directly and the boilers heat goes to the top of the cylinder immediately. Elson and DPS make square heat banks. They will make them to suit. Just the size to fit your cupboard. Square heat banks hold more water, hence moor energy.

Avoid an unvented cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back