What Tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installing new flexible pipe to hob and just wondering which tape to use, white tape or the green tape....does it matter which one?

Sponsored Links
It's illegal and dangerous to put a hose on a hob. Also you can't test for leaks. Don't do it. Corgi territory , copper pipe only.

(Whoops).........already done it.......but you say its dangerous, but using a flexible hose on an oven is okay? which I would see more of a risk because you can move it, please let me know why?(cheers)
The guy in the wholesalers didn't say anything and he knew what I wanted to do.....might not be a plumber though!

Regards.

Sponsored Links
The guy in the wholesalers may not give a toss about the cost of your court case or the cost of you and your family's funerals. You may be able to do the job, but if you can't........
And there's the point that it's totally illegal, in the same way it is for non-registered operators like me to do it. Which is why I don't.

As said its not ok, you will have to do it again, but if you have allready done it why the question about tape ?. cooker hoses have to be exposed and in accessable position , not going to be the case for most hobs, either way its illegal and will have to come out.

There's also an overheating issue and a "hanging" issue. Eg hoses behind built in ovens MELT! Free standing cookers are designed specifically to be used with hoses.

If you've left a leak (which you will not be able to test for), gas may build up under the hob/worktop. Next time you light the hob it explodes. Am I getting through?!

ChrisR said:
Next time you light the hob it explodes. Am I getting through?!

And indoor's firework are now banned as well,so no excuse :LOL:

okay boys, pick your dummies up............all I was asking is why is it illegal..(ie, will I go to prison).....corgie would not give me an answer saying its "a grey area"....plumbers were saying "£120 and i'll sort it".

Me as a spark would give you a regulation number saying why it did not comply, not its a grey area.....that to me is saying you can do it as long as precautions are taken......BUT before you start crying again, I WILL get it sorted when the plumbers turn up (IF)

Thanks Again Though ! ;)

It is a criminal offence to work on gas pipes unless youare corgi registered OK!!

I would also give a regulation number for the non-compliance. But in the case of gas it's irrelevant, you have to be registered. I think CORGI are just hoping to ignore things which demand effort.

okay boys, pick your dummies up.......

You did ask for help, and you got quite a bit of extra information, then said you'd done it anyway. People don't get paid for their time to help here, next time I hope they ignore your questions, given your childlike statements.

Maybe if I got the "adult" answer....other than "its illegal"...which seems to be the only one a plumber will give. Then I might not of offended you......people do work to answer questions for free on this site and I've answered a few myself...but it does not hurt, I dont expect to get paid......I do it because I do.......The hob was installed at 6ish on Monday before any messages were left, I would not of ignored any advice but the decision was made and I'm wrong, I ask why and I'm told "it just is"....Corgi wouldn't even give me a straight answer.

This is taken from the Corgi web site

Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and registered with CORGI.

Only a competent person can carry out work on gas appliances or fittings. Do-it-yourself work on gas appliances or fittings could be dangerous and is likely to be illegal.

As you said Corgi dont want to be held liable for anything / anyone......but they dont mention that you have to be Corgi registered to work on your own pipe work unless being paid.

I do respect your answers and I had taken them on board.

Regards,

Ian.

il78,
I agree in one respect. When I was younger (long time I know, can just remember) and naive, I got a corgi bloke in to fit me gas cooker as I thought I had to. He fitted, I paid, he left. When I tried the cooker it didnt work, why ? Gas still off, s**t meself, got me Dad (one of the old school plumber/fitters, i.e. took a pride in their work) to check it out, everything was o.k. but obviously this fella was more keen in taking the money and getting home for his tea than doing a proper job (gripe over !!).
I personally would rather do my own car brakes than trust my life with someone who is thinking of his night out, at least I know I'm gonna be saving my life, he doesn't give a monkeys apart from the cash he gets.
P.S. I got the money back off the company but this was a "competent person".
Competency doesn't always equal ability.

il78 said:
okay boys, pick your dummies up............all I was asking is why is it illegal..(ie, will I go to prison).....

Of course you will go to prison, on mass manslaughter charges after you've blown your street up. That's assuming your not in the house when it ignites, perhaps the rest of your family were not so fortunate but at least you saved a few tenners doing it this way, eh :?:

I think there is 4312 people in this forum praying that you are not living next door :!:

Just thought i'd stur things up a bit, what you have done is not ileagal.Its only ileagal if you have "recieved reward or faviour".you dont have to be corgi reg to charge but a member of a recognised body,such as a manafacturer, . you do have to be deemd competent but competent has not yet been defined (work that one out).But legal or not legal its still dangerous and should be sorted out by someone quallified not just corgi registerd, dont assume corgi reg meens competant at every aspect of gas check out his card to see what he is coverd for and if he wont show it show him the door.

Hmmm, I thought fitting a new gas appliance, or replacing an old one came under the building regs. In which case you either have to have a building control approval, or, if you are "a competant person" as defined by the 2002 regulations, you can self-certify.

This also applies to oil fired and solid fuel appliances. Competency for one does not imply competency for another according to the regulations which currently require CORGI registration for gas, OFTEC for oil, and HETAS for solid fuel. It's the building regs which is the criminal offence problem.

As far as getting a certificate from the local authority building control department goes, they will call in a registered person/firm to do the inspection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back