What Tape

I think it about time that only Corgi registered can only touch all gas appliance fittings etc otherwise it just get confusing who can do what and where do you draw the line plus we are not up to date with gas regulation.I would not be happy living next door to someone playing with gas fittings etc.

Sponsored Links
COg you're not right, nor Oilman on this one, and masona that IS the position.

You have to be COMPETENT!. Clearly someone who doesn't know how to jointhe fittings, or have test kit or know how to use it is NOT COMPETENT!
THEREFORE ITS ILLEGAL.
The "reg" is the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations, previously quoted on this forum. Joiuning pipes is "WORK". It is NOT a grey area, Corgi advise was wrong if that is what they said.

It is dangerous for the reasons I had to spell out - but I haven't got all day to give information people don't need! Others go unanswered.

On reflection I think
"It's illegal and dangerous to put a hose on a hob. Also you can't test for leaks. Don't do it. Corgi territory , copper pipe only."

was reasonable ENOUGH.

Well-said Chris,

Buuuuuut, as with all things in life you get good ones and bad ones (in this case plumbers)

I had cause to move my gas central heating boiler recently, put a few systems in myself in the past (with a plumber), but I thought - Gas, Corgi, My house! So got a Corgi registered company in to do it and I must say it was like watching a Laurel and Hardy sketch, two plumbers, one fresh out of college, qualified to the eye balls but didn’t have a clue what he was doing and the senior plumber well I'm sure he had PMT!

Moved the boiler, tested it and went. I lifted a floorboard to check their work and was amazed to see the state of gas line they'd put in. Because it was a tight fit between joists an elbow was squashed because the angle was not quite 90 degrees, looked a bl**dy mess. Now if I had put that in I would have ripped it out and started again, but I assume they thought that because it didn’t leak it was OK.
That was the first time I have ever employed a plumber and I wasn’t impressed – won’t be using that company again , but as I said earlier, there’s good ones and bad ones.

luckily chaps like that are in the majority

that said I woulod suggest that you get on to the company to rectify this as kinking of the joint MAY weaken it,

If you get no joy from them then get onto CORGI

Sponsored Links
BL**DY *ELL corgiman "luckily chaps like that are in the majority " - I hope you mean in the minority :eek:

Joking aside that's a valid point about the joint, I'll get it checked out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave.
[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back