What Tester?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good, not too expensive tester that carries out all the tests required for commissioning? Just finding my feet as a sparks and I'm fed up of everyone else taking the credit for me work! As I'll be self employed I can't afford one that washes the car, feeds the cat etc., just the basics...

Sponsored Links
baldersj said:
........... I can't afford one that washes the car, feeds the cat etc...

No plans to get married, then?

P.S. As my Steinel and AVO are fairly old, I bought a cheap Clamp meter on the net, CE stamped but a Chinese knock off, it's rubbish. Would do better buying a good quality used one off a sparky who's retiring, or an IT retread who's going back into the IT trade next time business picks up.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, I went for the fluke 1652 and i'm happy with it (no lead problems... touch wood!)

The general consensus seems to be Megger however!

Balders

If you want to save some money, go for the 1651, it's quite a lot cheaper than the 1652, does the basics and I've found it easy to use although a bit slower on loop tests than Robin. (and I'm not likley to be doing RCD ramp tests or earth electrode tests)

I got mine from iss instruments and they were the best price and really helpful

Happy testing!

SB

I thought the one thing that the '52 has that the '51 lacks thats going to be genuinely useful is automatic RCD testing?

the 1651 is marketed as the Part P tester and will do everything required to comply got mine from City Electrical Factors (was on offer price)

I have a Megger and it'g been great, occasionally plays up a bit and then I change the batteries- all is well then.

Had it a couple of years and no real problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back