what the hell is happening with paints these days?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so I'm finally off a DIY garage conversion and its time for the enjoyable bit ie the painting.

what a chore :evil:

I've always used B&Q value rollers and they have been ok, the latest ones are terrible so not a good start.

Armed then with a £6 Harris roller I then go to B&Q to buy a 10L tub of Crown matt emulsion for the ceiling and 2 walls - its like painting milk. Four brush coats of this muck around the sockets and where wall meets ceiling etc and you can still see through it slightly.

Oh well, on to the feature wall using a Graham and Brown matt emulsion - STUNNING one coat was equal to 4 coats of Crown Milk so that restored my faith in paints for sure!.

Then on to the woodwork which was already primed so I used Dulux non drip fast dry gloss water based - same as the Crown Matt - totall rubbish - hardly covers at all and dont even mention the finish on the window ledges - I've seen better finish on a dustbin lid - this product is just utter junk!!! You CANNOT paint flat horizontal surfaces properly as it doesnt flow....

So whats happening with these DIY products - you expect rubbish from shed brands but not from the likes of Dulux and Crown surely :?:

Sponsored Links
well it cant all be down to that..... I've been diying like most people for 30 odd years and never have I experienced the agro that has happened the last week. Having rollered countless ceilings and walls to an adequate for me standard, the results from my latest efforts have been woeful so either I've lost any touch I might have had in the first place, the materials have got more difficult to use or the quality of them has dropped.

Its not like the paint is thin, it just doesnt have much colour in it. And this is highlighted by ujsing the Graham and Brown stuff which is so pigmented that it covers instantly....

Sponsored Links
Water based gloss doesnt apply well, brush marks won't flow out which is always more noticeable on sills. An undercoat would have helped the finish of the gloss its not best practice to go straight over primer.

The johnstones WB finishes range arn't too bad but a flawless finish over flat broad areas is impossible and their trade emulsion covaplus is a good option for walls and ceilings. Sikkens BL u/c is superb as is their BL satura but unfortunately they don't supply the UK with a gloss. In my opinion for a good finish from gloss its still got to be oil based but over time the manufacturers will develop WB gloss that is equal in finish.

I'd say its your choice of paints thats letting you down more than your abilities. Gotta say i didn't know graham and browne made paint but there again i avoid B&Q like the plague, if it works well for you though its probably worth sticking with the one brand.

I've got a feeling that the plastic coated look of oil gloss will fade in popularity. After using the softer feeling acrylics I really don't like the look of plastic coated woodwork. It only goes yellow anyway.

I prefer the acrylic satins. I can get flawless results that look like a spray job.

thanks for replies..

I've never liked water based products but then dont like the smell of oil based nor the fact that it takes ages to dry - last job a few years ago was tacky for 2 weeks - maybe thats normal now but no other oil based paint has stayed soft for that long for me in the past plus brush cleaning is a right PITA

I have just bought B&Q primer/ undercoat water based and put that on some bare wood areas. It went on a bit roughly but covered well so I will take a chance and paint their water based satin on top for no other reason that on their can in big orange writing B&Q harp on about their exacting product standards and if in any way unhappy please return to the store for refund - it cant be any worse than the stuff I've been using.

Unfortuanely wifey likes lots of gloss - I think in the light of comments here and what I've been seeing, its satin from now on....

when I have worked with the B&Q top coat I will report my findings :)

Have to agree that the Crown Matt is terrible, lots of coats required to get it to cover. Best stick with the Dulux vinyl matt i think.

thing is, some of us are suckers I guess.....

10L Crown matt £15 (sh*t)

2.5L G&B matt £20.00 (fantastic)

do the maths I suppose :confused: :oops: :)

I've got a feeling that the plastic coated look of oil gloss will fade in popularity. After using the softer feeling acrylics I really don't like the look of plastic coated woodwork. It only goes yellow anyway.

I prefer the acrylic satins. I can get flawless results that look like a spray job.

I agree, the satin look has a classy look to it, also if the gloss is applied poorly (as in my front door :() it can look awful.

As we are doing the whole house at some point the internal doors will need doing. The house is fairly modern, built in 05, the doors look factory spray painted with a very light gloss.

Would you recommend acrylics for this?

Cheers,

I would but you need to practice - you have to adapt to the different characteristics. At least they don't go yellow in weeks.

You have got to weigh up the pro's and con's between the W/B and the O/B. The water based will not yellow but can be tricky to leave a decent finish due to the rapid drying times. Oil will yellow but is easier to gain a brush mark free finish.

Option is yours! Good luck! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back