what the hell is happening with paints these days?

Simples. W/b needs to (go back) be the absolute best brush you can afford. Never use nylon brushes, use trade quality bristle brushes. The finer the brush "hair" the better.

Sponsored Links
Rubbish, natural bristle brushes are useless for acrylic finishes

Nice to create a debate and then follow through with a well informed comment.

Too many years of spirt based paint must have eroded your ability to comment beyond knocking a post :eek:

Agree / disagree, please accept that at no stage has anyone mentioned the brush factor being a vital part of the painting process. Maybe I have used the wrong artifical brushes, but having dipped my toes in the nylon type ones I found them to be very poor when compared with my trusty, old (a decade or so) Harris pro jobs.

I do add 5% water got the paint, and sorry if you think it's
, but to me the finish is less textured and works better.

By all means knock me back, but do the whole community a favour and expand beyond basic insulting. :rolleyes:

Look. You gave a stupid bit of advice and your reaction to being wrong is to insult me, probably because i embarrassed you. Your 'advice' was extremely poor and needed to be discredited quickly and to the point, there is no debate to be had.

Sponsored Links
when I have worked with the B&Q top coat I will report my findings :)

its rubbish :( so I've bought some Crown satin non drip which seems to be getting good reviews and its really good. So got there in the end :confused:

Unfortunately Matz some things are a no brainer, i can understand the temptation to buy the own brand shed stuff when its so much cheaper than some of the trades, but there is good reason for it. I dont know who makes B&Q paint but their first point in the brief will be a low price point so the manufacturer cannot use quality materials. I know Crown used (possibly still do) to make Homebase paint which again is crap due to the pricing but Crown's own stuff and Albany which they also make isn't a bad drop of gear.

I did get given some crown non drip satin by a client to do their bath panel and it went on fine so think you'll be all right with it. Use a good quality synthetic brush (but i expect you've already realised that)!, and lightly dampen it first to prevent paint clogging towards the ferrule. Also a lot of lads recommend a drop of floetrol to ease flow and help the paint level out a bit, work quickly and evenly and you should be fine

P.S I'm worried about you Joe thats three in two days ;)

Thanks Dec, how are you mate? not seen you around much?

Bit slow my end, just done an external thats taken forever with this bad weather, glad to see the back of it and i usually enjoy working outside

Hope your well and busier than me!

dcdec, I take your point totally....ask my missus, she will tell you I'm a brand snob and will NEVER buy shed makes of anything if I can help it. But what swayed me to buy their satin paint was that having used this Dulux (rubbish) and the Crown Matt (rubbish) with what B&Q write on their tin about satisfaction guarenteed or bring the item back, I thought nothing to lose giving them a go on basis that perhaps they had started to produce some decent stuff. But I was not surprised really to have the result I did!

The problem is for a DIYer is if they want to buy some paint product and like to use branded goods, to use both crown and dulux and have a bad experience with both kind of creates a problem as to what to buy exactly when you next need something....

A question - internet reviews. What do people think of these re. paint products? My Dulux got a drubbing as did the crown matt, also the B&Q. But Crown satin came out well so perhaps they are pretty accurate?

Thanks Dec, how are you mate? not seen you around much?

Bit slow my end, just done an external thats taken forever with this bad weather, glad to see the back of it and i usually enjoy working outside

Hope your well and busier than me!

I'm doing ok mate, the workload is not really plentiful yet the the backlog of exteriors is vast. This Summer has been such a wet one it seems to be a rather uphill battle, if work for you does not increase within the coming weeks send me a pm mate.

Take care,

Dec

If there's not much work around in summer - then what's winter going to be like?

Cheers Dec, good to hear from you.

Matz i can understand your problem you should be able to trust a proven brand name. The whole post 2010 voc change has been tough going for us all trying to find decent products. Manufacturers seem to have got it right with some WB products like satin but gloss has been the big problem, i've tried mythic, caparol, & johnstones, none of which have been on a par with oil based.

As far as reviews on paint go it depends who writes them! Forums like this are better.

From what i've used and read i would recommend the following acrylic/acrylic hybrids

Satin :

Sikkens and Johnstones

Undercoats, primers and primer/undercoats :

Sikkens, Berger, Mythic, zinsser 123 and Johnstones

Gloss :

Johnstones, Mythic (don't expect a high gloss finish tho), Caparol (but pulled out the UK i think) all of which are difficult to apply over broad, flat surfaces

Eggshell :

Farrow and Ball and Paint and Paper library

Like i said i havn't used all of them so this list is certainly open to criticism and i'm sure could be added to.

All that said, i have never had any issue pre or post 2010 with sikkens oil based gloss and the new blue lid gloss from dulux seems fine

Early on in the summer i was considering ringing up the girl i used to play guitar for and going to audition for cruise ships, it would at least be a steady income but then it picked up a bit.

Everyone round here is skint! For the first time in 10-12 years i've not been getting quotes after a very very high quote job conversion rate throughout those years, i dont blame people, decorating can always wait another year i suppose and they deserve a holiday in this miserable bloody weather

Early on in the summer i was considering ringing up the girl i used to play guitar for and going to audition for cruise ships, it would at least be a steady income but then it picked up a bit.

Everyone round here is skint! For the first time in 10-12 years i've not been getting quotes after a very very high quote job conversion rate throughout those years, i dont blame people, decorating can always wait another year i suppose and they deserve a holiday in this miserable bloody weather

2012 is the year where the recession has caught up with alot of the good trades. It hit home for the bodgers in 2010 lol. They'll now be sitting it out on benefits or agecny driving work until things pick up again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back