what the hell is happening with paints these days?

Sponsored Links
I always use one coat paint in all of the major brands, as the other paint is so thin.

Just to add to the discussion re paints. I just had my rendered bungalow painted externally by a professional dedorator. (to old and knackered to DIY it) I supplied the paint and used Dulux Trade Weathershield. After using up some DIY Dulux for the initial touching in the decorator was amazed at quality and coverage of the Trade stuff. I can also agree that the new Blue lid Dulux gloss is streets better than the first effort after the EU interference.

But does it yellow? Some say yes and some say no.

Sponsored Links
It was not brilliant white but a slighly pinky white, no sign of discolouring after 3 months. I wait with baited breath.

Is it in a light area though? It's the dark hallways that suffer most.

I think i've mentioned this before but i painted the lader (sorry don't know how its spelt) door in my dining room which is quite dark and i used Dulux blue lid and its fine after what must now be 5 or 6 months. I think they've got it right and i'm fairly confident in it now, its got a good gloss level, easy to apply, levels out well and is a good white. Obviously time will tell but so far so good.

Just thought I'd add my experience with paint here..

Having been made redundant a couple of months ago, decided to re-decorate all the upstairs rooms of our house prior to putting it on the market..

I've always used Dulux paints previously for everything, but after reading about how it is after the new regs in 2010. I am too scared to use it now..

We decided as we are selling we would try using Wicks paints, because if it turned out awful then we would be gone soon in anycase..

Wicks Solvent Based Trade Gloss White:
The undercoat does not self level very well I found after the first time I used it there was still a lot of brush marks in it... After this I now tend to paint it like a top coat and use fine brush strokes to level it out...When I first started this project temps were 8-10deg C This effects the drying times. After overnight at these temps it's still a bit tacky in the morning and in my opinion not hard enough to over coat with Gloss.... However now the temps are up to 25-30deg it's much better and is hard after overnight drying..

With the Gloss White Top coat you have to be really careful to use very fine brush strokes on places like window cills as it does not level out and if your not careful your left with brush strokes after it's dried.. The gloss finish is pretty good tho

I've had the first lot up for just over 3 months now, there is no sign of it turning yellow so I'm happy with the result..

Wicks Trade Matt Emulsions

This stuff is Bl**dy brilliant

We used the 10 Ltr Trade Flat Matt for the ceilings which is really good and covers in one coat..

We have used 3 or 4 different mainly neutral colours of Matt Emulsions.. This stuff is really thick and covers well.... I had an old 5 ltr Tin of Dulux Matt Emulsion which we used on one of the spare rooms so I have been able to compare the two makes... It is my opinion that the Wick's Emulsion is thicker and covers better..

Having started using Wick's paints just as a try out prior to selling.. I'm now thinking I'll be using it on the new place we buy....

I'm only a DIY'er but have been doing it for about 30 years. ..I hope my experiences using these paint's will help some of you guys

Cheers

Steve

Best to use what we're comfortable with, on the very few occasions i've used wickes paint i can honestly say its the worst paint i've ever used. It may well be of better quality now but once bitten twice shy. For me little green is currently the best emulsion on the market

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back