What time switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m struggling to find what I need because I don’t know what it is called.

I want a time switch that has four terminals, or five if it needs an earth.

1 & 2 ----- Live and Neutral to drive the clock.

3 & 4 -----Two other terminals which are switched but totally separate from the power that runs the clock. I want to switch a separate circuit.

I’ve fitted time switches like this many times but can’t find one to buy now.

It can be basic; I only need one on and one off per day and it will be the same times every day.

What am I looking for?

Sponsored Links
Just a standard 24hr clock non digital ? I’ve got a couple if you want them if you pay for the postage ….as per picture

Attachments

• 474FCB21-C6E4-4411-91AB-F615F0FD4D40.jpeg
    474FCB21-C6E4-4411-91AB-F615F0FD4D40.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 24
Just a standard 24hr clock non digital ? I’ve got a couple if you want them if you pay for the postage ….as per picture
I'm stupid, the ones I fitted were non digital but I kept looking at digital ones.

Sponsored Links
Never worked out why, but time switches often called programmers. Used a lot with central heating. As said want a volt free programmer. Also check the current rating, some are only 5 amp.

The name comes from the fact that inside the unit none of the switching contacts have any connection to a voltage source.
Must agree with @EFLImpudence on this, if there is no voltage at the contacts, then they do nothing, variable voltage contacts yes, or isolated contacts yes, but no volt contacts is a silly name, but now accepted like many other electrical names like electronic transformers.

if there is no voltage at the contacts, then they do nothing,
That is obvious. But when contacts inside a module have no connection with a voltage inside the module then the voltage on the contacts has to be supplied from a source external to the module. Until they are connected to that external source the contacts do not have any voltage on them.

But when contacts inside a module have no connection with a voltage inside the module then the voltage on the contacts has to be supplied from a source external to the module.
As does that voltage with which they have no connection.

Until they are connected to that external source the contacts do not have any voltage on them.
And then they do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back