What type of boiler do i have/need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so i'm hoping im being a bit thick with this and missing the obvious so please bear with me.

Our current boiler is an old Ideal ICOS HE15, Standard 10yr+ underpowered newbuild boiler.
Its dying and beyond economical repair from what the guy who came to service it told us, so its upgrade time.

Now eveything i read on google points me towards it being a System boiler. No water tank in loft, just a white cylinder in airing cupboard upstairs, with a small white and a small red tank above it. Also the service guy told me it was an "un-vented" system.

A guy came to quote us for a new boiler and has suggested a worcester that is a "Conventional" boiler. (worcester 18Ri?). But we've got no cold water tank in the loft?

I've then found boilers that are Heat only?

Can anyone shed any light on what sort of boiler i actually need?

Thanks in advance,

Oli

Sponsored Links
There is a pump next to the water tank. There is also an internal pump in the boiler according to the manual (see attached item 69 & 70) which further confused me.
ICOS Pump.PNG

You have a heat only boiler on a sealed system , you can replace it with a heat only or a system boiler.

Sponsored Links
worcester that is a "Conventional" boiler. (worcester 18Ri?)
The 18ri can be used ass open vent or sealed system, you have a sealed system so it is ok to fit that if that is the boiler you want.
Make sure your existing system is properly cleaned and inhibited , the WB Ri does not like dirty system water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back