what type of cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
heard a spark talking about a cable, that i assume can be used for say putting a new switch cable down a wall where the circuit is not on a rcd,
i want to move a switch and this sounds the easiest way.
it seems the cable outer casing is in contact with the earth core throughout its length.is it a new cable?

Sponsored Links
FP200, Pyro, SWA are 3 which spring to mind (however with FP200 you have to be a little bit careful - think it is only suitable for use with a 6A type B breakers.)

Flex sheild ali tube cable?

I find steel conduit the easiest and cheapest method personally.

Does flex shield fall into the same category as FP200 for protection type?

Sponsored Links
They claim it will clear a fault every time on anything upto a 32A type B MCB.

That says to me it is not guaranteed to trip a 32A type C, so it must be pretty borderline with a type B

I'm not convinced. The sample they sent me looks exactly the same as FP200 :confused:

I don't think I'll be using it...

They claim it will clear a fault every time on anything upto a 32A type B MCB.

That says to me it is not guaranteed to trip a 32A type C, so it must be pretty borderline with a type B

I'm not convinced. The sample they sent me looks exactly the same as FP200 :confused:

I don't think I'll be using it...
Conduct one of your tests rob, remember the lighting cable you connected your welder across? :LOL:

thanks for the replys,just had a look at the flexishield on this site http://tpwcc.com/flexishield.html.
it says it will trip a 32 amp mcb (does that include mcbs below that) and satisfies bs8436 which i assume is what spark123 was quoting,does that mean it can be used instead of a rcd,
if the regs say this cable is up to the correct standard,then surely there is no argument.
what about cables in ceiling voids and lofts do they not come under this reg?

If it is to BS8346 and is protected by a 32A or less B type MCB then it can be used without an RCD yes.
The regulation for RCD protecting unprotected concealed cables is for them in a wall or partition, not in a ceiling.

thanks spark123.
while looking around for this cable,came across arctic cable in different colours,what's this type of cable used for/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back