What type of couplers are these?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Probably a numpty question, but can anybody tell me what sort of connection or coupling is pictured below please.

Background is, I've had to replace a leaking handbasin mixer tap in my downstairs WC. The new tap comes with a fixing kit and flexi tails.

I'm planning on using a pipe cutter to sever the existing painted copper feed pipes then attach the tails to a 15mm isolation valve on each feed. I'm just curious about what the existing double sleeve couplers are. I haven't seen this type before. Anybody know?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Many thanks. I thought it was a 2 piece coupler, but I see it's just crimped a bit in the middle.

I guess I can cut them off and connect the tap flexi tails via a 15mm coupler?

it is a grove in the middle so that the pipe stops half way through when you push it before soldering. Cut below or above those couplers (depending how long your tap flexes are) and use either isolation valves are 15mm compression coupler and remove nut and olive other end and install your flexi connectors there.

Sponsored Links
it is a grove in the middle so that the pipe stops half way through when you push it before soldering. Cut below or above those couplers (depending how long your tap flexes are) and use either isolation valves are 15mm compression coupler and remove nut and olive other end and install your flexi connectors there.
Standard iso valve uses 2 olives so both ends have a lip for the olives, if you tighten the flexi with the rubber washer to much it can cut into the washer. Either buy iso valve with one flat end for this purpose or file one end flat before using.

Standard iso valve uses 2 olives so both ends have a lip for the olives, if you tighten the flexi with the rubber washer to much it can cut into the washer. Either buy iso valve with one flat end for this purpose or file one end flat before using.

As luck would have it, I saw these in the local hardware store.

As you say, they've got a flat end for the tail connection.

As the feed pipes are quite close together, I was thinking I might have stagger the height of the couplers. I'll let you know how I get on.

Went alright, no awards for precision, but no leaks, wife is happy.

Thanks for the help. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_172046.jpg
    IMG_20200416_172046.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 272
The pipe cutter tool stripped the old paint off quite nicely as it went round. It left a nice bit of bare copper for the olive to sit on

I even added a bit of PTFE around the olive, controversial!

PTFE around the olive will never hurt, it's those who wrap the threads on compression joints with PTFE. They dont realise the thread doesn't make the seal, the olive does!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back