What type of light is this and how to fix it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Does anyone know what type of bulb this is and how to change it? Its in my bathroom and its flashing so think it needs changing. I have a cord as a light switch and this seems to be wired in ok.

No idea about the light as ive never seen one before so pls help its just constantly flickering and buzzing

null_zps80c7f624.jpg

null_zps5267e203.jpg

null_zpsbbcded3c.jpg

null_zps78452e2f.jpg

null_zpsd61a4d89.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Great vid thank you for response.

Can you see the wiring in my pic? Does it look normal as there is no wiring in the video?

Also the bulb is fuzzy/flashing would this indicate a faulty bulb or a faulty connection?

Great vid thank you for response.
no probs
Can you see the wiring in my pic? Does it look normal as there is no wiring in the video?
It visually looks terminated okay, but it looks very much like cables have been extended and taped up and colour variation differ, is the earth/cpc yellow or green/yellow?
Also the bulb is fuzzy/flashing would this indicate a faulty bulb or a faulty connection?
The 2 d lamp looks to have dark shading at the contact ends, this is usually a sign that it has gone, other things to consider are the starter switches

Tube looks OK. Try changing starter. If that doesn't work change tube as well.

Ok thank you very much

The tube has got some shading so i do think its on it way out.

I have no idea how to change the starter. Im not actually sure what the starter is

The starter is the white cylinder thingy just on the right hand side.
It is next to that chunk of blue tape in your picture.

Turn it a little anti clockwise and it will cone out (like a light bulb).
Make sure you get one of the same rating as the old one.

I have no idea how to change the starter. Im not actually sure what the starter is

The starter is the cylinder shaped thing just to the right of the middle of the lamp in your last photo.

It is a bayonet fitting which means you just twist it about 1/8th of a turn anti-clockwise and it will pull out. Change it anyway (cost £1 or so?) Take the old one with you to the shop as the 'wattage' will be marked on the side. Same with the lamp.

Edit: Too slow, I got distracted half way through writing.

The ballast (shown in the first pic) could be bad but they are usually reliable over several years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back