What type of pipe is this and are their any watch-its?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'm planning on replacing my kitchen mixer tap. Due to the condition of the pipework with what looks like some old leak sealant applied and some redundant fittings I plan on cutting out most of the pipework in the cupboard and redoing it. Rather than the pipework being 15 mm copper like I expected it looks like potentially stainless? The pipework is most likely original from when the house was built in the mid 1970's. Would it be stainless? Any watch-its for connecting to it? Are compression fittings the only DIY option for connecting to it?

Attachments

• 20220227_143140.jpg
    20220227_143140.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 161
Sponsored Links
Looks to me like it painted copper. I've never come across stainless pipework in a domestic setting.

Compression fittings are probably the safer bet, soldering could work if you can get the pipe back to clean copper and there's no water present, likewise before any attempt to use push fit fittings you must ensure the pipe is back to clean copper and no burrs on the ends.

Looks to me like it painted copper. I've never come across stainless pipework in a domestic setting.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think its paint, its got a shinny silvery surface. It might be clearer in this photo.

upload_2022-2-28_16-9-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-2-28_16-7-3.png
    upload_2022-2-28_16-7-3.png
    824.7 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
feel the whole way round the pipe, can you feel a seam ? if you can it is Truewell, used in the 70s during the copper shortage, if it is you are well advised to replace the lot or you are in for a whole lot of heartache

I posted about a 7 bedroom house all done in Truwell in the CC a couple of months ago. I'm doing a full repipe in the summer :)

Crikey, not come across that stuff before. Best left well alone then is it is!
Unfortunately we have lots of housing built in the 70s and this was used, as soon as you feel the seam its walk away time, you cant use standard pipe slices or wheel cutters on it, the cutter disc will just snap the minute it touches it, grinder time always, pinholes for fun, never try to chemically clean or flush systems with it fitted

Hi.

I'm planning on replacing my kitchen mixer tap. Due to the condition of the pipework with what looks like some old leak sealant applied and some redundant fittings I plan on cutting out most of the pipework in the cupboard and redoing it. Rather than the pipework being 15 mm copper like I expected it looks like potentially stainless? The pipework is most likely original from when the house was built in the mid 1970's. Would it be stainless? Any watch-its for connecting to it? Are compression fittings the only DIY option for connecting to it?
Yes use compression with copper olives and when you cut it don't get too much movement hold the pipes firmly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back