Stainless Steel Tubing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on the home straight as far as finishing my bathroom project goes and one of the last things to do is hide two sections of horizontal exposed pipework: the waste from the toilet and the waste from a sink.

I had planned to box them in and tile over them but then had the idea of encasing them in stainless steel tubing. The lengths would be short - about 50cm each. The diameter would be around 70mm for the sink waste (to cover a compression fitting) and around 150mm for the toilet waste (as it has a bend in it).

Has anyone tried anything similar or has any idea where I could get tubing like this from? Most of the on-line suppliers seem to be set up for industrial customers.

Sponsored Links
An interesting view point. I like the industrial chic idea.

Perhaps it's because I own a titanium bike and consequently have a thing about tubing in it's natural state!

Each to their own I suppose.......

I'm with Chris on this, but if you want to proceed then stainless tube is available from BSS (branches all over the place) or other stockholders. The tube and fittings are commonly available as schedule 10 (thin wall) and schedule 40 (not so thin wall) .

The problem is that the tube is in 6m lengths and will cost a fortune.

I would suggest a yellow pages or similar search to find any local process plant fabricators and try to scrounge some offcuts.

....I suppose it will give you something to polish....

Sponsored Links
i like the idea of excentuating what you cant hide

you could try spraying with metalic car paint

or could you not turn it into a cupboard for your knicnacks
toilet roll holder bleach with herring bone style steel plates as doors
covering the area

big all

Better to go to a local fabricator and get them to roll it from flat sheet. You can get several brushed finishes which will be easier than polishing tube.

Have you thought how you will slide it over the pipes and make the joints afterwards.

Jason

What about a glass cupboard with stainless steel cover over your wastes?

tres chic!

We are all getting very creative now!

Fitting wouldn't be a problem: the pipes go through the bath panel, so I'd disconnect these, slide on the stainless 'sleeve' and the slide back after reconnecting.

For neatness though, I think the boxing in option may be back on the agenda - at least there will be somewhere to sit the loo brush - stainless steel of course!

If you want 'chrome' effect the easiest way to achieve this is to use plastic tube of the right diameter and cover it with self adhesive metallised vinyl.

You can get this in flat sheets or on rolls in different thicknesses. Your best option is to try your local sign makers - they use vinyls on a roll for cutout lettering and they can generally buy the silver (or gold or copper) by the meter in various widths.
No fabrication probs other than getting it flat with no air bubbles and easier to keep clean.

(If you want to really outrageous its's also available in fluorescents)

Florescent orange - now you're talking!

ChrisR above would absolutely love that! Would it clash with the stainless steel toilet brush though?

we wondered what to do with all the labyrinthine pipework beneath the combi boiler in my sons house...
eventually we painted it high gloss white...and it looks pretty cool
another solution is use an enamel...
you can see the leaks then..
ps i worked in the shipyards where inch by thick is the motto.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back