What type/size tool do I need for this ratchet fence strainer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our property has some old wire fencing using these pretty heavy duty straining ratchets... 4mm wire like the council use.
I'm maintaining and tweaking it but I don't have an appropriate tool and looking online there's loads of different sizes and styles. I gather I should be using a proper tool not just a spanner, takes a lot of force, but which one will fit?

The main 'nut' is 13.2mm/.53" and the smaller one 11.3mm which seem odd sizes, can't even tell if they're metric or not!

IMG_20210814_140955__01.jpg
IMG_20210814_140824__01.jpg

Sponsored Links
Other option could be to use less industrial gauge wire and get newer fittings but it seems a shame to waste this good stuff

I've always just used a shifter or Stilson wrench on those strainers.
Once you get a good grip, you should be able to pull the wire up tight.

I've always just used a shifter or Stilson wrench on those strainers.
Once you get a good grip, you should be able to pull the wire up tight.
Wrench in one hand, big screwdriver poked through to hold it in place in the other, that sort of thing?

Never thought of a Stilson, I've got a decent size one somewhere if I can find it!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back