What was the year?

Dyno tape labels
Thats an early version of gridswitch too.
Check for metric Notches on them 3 bushes
Id say 1980

Sponsored Links
I think the tails are a red herring here. There’s evidence of an abandoned PILC SP&N supply to the building which is now fed by a waveform TP&N supply, and there are some much more up to date switch fuses at this position so I guess the tails may have been replaced when this was altered.

The CPC size in 2.5mm² is good call for dating installations, but there aren’t actually any in this installation.

The two conduits at the top of the board feed all the sockets in this area. They are solid core 2.5mm² conductors, and there is one ring in each conduit.

I’m not sure if the twin and earth feed is metric or imperial. I’ll check properly when it gets cut off. This part of the installation is still in service at the moment.

I’m not sure about the dates for C50 boards, but it would be interesting to know, and another good addition to the installation dates wiki page.

At first glance that looks typical of mid 60's with imperial T&E feed and Imperial brass bushes. difficult to tell from a pic but the singles look metric [Solid] and I'll lay money on the T&E's being metric so 70ish onwards, and white writing on MCB's. but . I'd guess these may be 2 different dates or right in the change over period.

The bakelite switched fuse predates metric cable by a number of years.

I think the MCB's have a manufacturing date on them.

Sponsored Links
Can we see a pic of the sockets?

What make and style are they?

Do they have an earth fly lead from the box, and if so, is it green or green and yellow?

The older Crabtree sockets tended to have an earth pin hole which you could see right through (I think).

Last edited:
But being installed well into late 70's
Obviously :)
Crabtree stuff apparently was more popular up north and they made no alternative to C50 till late 70's, I was fitting C50 stuff in 1979, but I quess when Crabtree Starbreaker came out, demand diminished

Can we see a pic of the sockets?

Unfortunately all the sockets are fairly modern MEM twin switched sockets which have replaced the original single sockets, so no help with dating the installation, but the ones we’ve looked at so far have been properly re-bushed into the twin flush box and a green and yellow fly lead fitted. I’ve not seen any BESA boxes yet as the screw thread in those would help, but my colleague has found some which we will be accessing soon to make some alterations.

Crabtree stuff apparently was more popular up north and they made no alternative to C50 till late 70's, I was fitting C50 stuff in 1979, but I quess when Crabtree Starbreaker came out, demand diminished
I think a decent way into 80's too for the die hards. But the later MCB's very quickly found favour.

It was only a couple of years ago I made some alterations in one of these boxes, it quite took me back in time.

I’m oop north. I don’t have as many years as some folk on here coming into the industry in the 90s, working mainly in schools and factories etc, but for me for old circuit breaker boards, I used to see a lot more dorman smith boards than anything else with Crabtree C50 in second place and a few federal boards, but they were rare.

These days I still see a good few Crabtrees still in service, but nearly all the dorman smiths and federals have disappeared.

I’m oop north. I don’t have as many years as some folk on here coming into the industry in the 90s, working mainly in schools and factories etc, but for me for old circuit breaker boards, I used to see a lot more dorman smith boards than anything else with Crabtree C50 in second place and a few federal boards, but they were rare.

These days I still see a good few Crabtrees still in service, but nearly all the dorman smiths and federals have disappeared.
Joost a laaad then.
I think that is troo for doon sooth too. I cant remember the last time I saw a Federal.

EDIT: what a silly statement:rolleyes: The last I recall were at a council theatre about '73 but I must have seen some since them.

Joost a laaad then.
I think that is troo for doon sooth too. I cant remember the last time I saw a Federal.

EDIT: what a silly statement:rolleyes: The last I recall were at a council theatre about '73 but I must have seen some since them.

I think the last federal I saw was about 8 years ago, and I was there to replace it...

Solid 2.5mm2 single cores for the sockets suggests after circa 1970.

I don't think there was any cable equivalent to 2.5mm2 in the old imperial sizes that was solid, it tended to be stranded. (Obviously smaller imperial cables were or could be solid.)

Others here may be able to confirm if 2.5mm2 imperial equivalent single core was available, before 1970ish.

I think earth sleeving became more commonplace around 1970 too, but the lack of earth sleeving in your board may be down to poor installation. I'm certain it was available then.

Also around 1970 I would estimate there was a growing trend to use more and more PVC round conduit, though this proves nothing.

Possibly people were more inclined to include a seperate cpc in newer metric metal conduits as they were that much larger - I am trying to imagine a metric 20mm metal conduit with just one red and one black in it - they seem lonely in a large conduit with no earth wire. I'm not sure exactly when it became the norm to include a seperate cpc in metal conduit, though I don't think even now we have to.

Again, someone else will have a better idea.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back