What waterproof material to top an outdoor DIY potting bench- cheaply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on building a 'potting' bench using old pallet wood, but the void beneath needs to be weatherproof because I will be storing an electric lawn-raker under there. I plan on covering the sides with shiplap planks, but as for the top, other than the obvious, a sheet of metal (££), what do you think I could use? It would be handy if the surface was reasonably easy-wipe to clean up after I've done some potting on it!

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
perspex or similar but you will need an angle so the water sheds off rather than run underneath

Anything decent will cost you - any ply type timber will soon delaminate.
How about some aluminium checkerplate? Second hand yards could be a pal here.
John :)

Thanks both- yes, I am thinking I'll put a bit of a slope on the top, maybe 1" or so to assist run off.

The distressing thing is that my dad, RIP, had several large sheets of copper (he made clocks as a hobby) that would've served well...:unsure::)

Sponsored Links
You could get a sheet of 3mm pvc cladding used for commercial kitchen walls etc relatively cheaply. Its hard but will scratch a bit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back