What wood for fascia?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been waiting for a nice sunny to paint the fascia and replace the guttering on the front of the house. I could see some of the paint was peeling so thought I'd crack on - might take me an evening or two...

Anyway got the first section of guttering off and the top of the wood fascia board was rotting where it met with the tile. It obviously needs replacing but was wandering what type of wood to use. I have bought wood in the past and it has been nasty cheap rubbish with knots all over it which leaks resin. What type of wood is best to use for fascia. The dims are 145mm x 21mm. Is this 6"x1"?

Was thinking of painting it on the ground then installing it - any issue with this?

Thanks in advance

Ad

Sponsored Links
You'll get a better quality softwood at a timber yard rather than the sheds, and painting the timber before installation is a sound idea.
Your sizes are 6 x 1 dressed.
My soffits are large (9") and I've used WBP ply (18mm) for mine.....it was protected well from the start and is still fine 20 years on.
John :)

There are many varieties, and naturally prices.....!
Personally I'd go for a Scandinavian or European Redwood - it can have a good few knots but if its well treated then its very durable.
In my long gone joinery days, the scandinavian timbers were marked with either a crown (best) or star (2nd) red mark....I really don't know if this still applies in these days of quick dried rubbish that we call timber.

Sponsored Links
Thats great. I'll go for one of those then. you say it needs to be treated, can i paint directly on to freshly treated wood?

Cheers

Sure - when I said treated, that would definitely include a quality knotting coat and primer.

Don't buy treated timber (ie external grade) as the treatment will leech through the paint and flake it off

Buy normal planed timber and prep and paint it first

If the top section of fascia is rotten, then you probably have a roof problem that should be sorted out - rotten eaves felt?

Thanks

The rot is not wet, it dry.I don't know much about rot, but if it dry would that still be down to roof problem. The house is old -1820s. It has clay tiles with no felt, just slates running the length. Is this a likely cause?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back