What would cause these cracks?

I

imamartian

Anyone able to explain what could be causing these cracks? They're in the ceiling next to my downstairs loo, which i believe is supporting the bath in the bathroom directly above.

Thanks

DSCN3359.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Imamartian,
What's your ceiling made of? P/board, lath? Are they the only cracks?

Roughcaster.

Basically they are stretch marks!

Its caused by differential movement of the ceiling and wall.

There is scrim tape at the wall/ceiling junction to prevent cracking in finishes at the corner. As the ceiling moves slightly the edge is held firm by the tape, and so crack develops an inch or so in along the edge of the scrim.

It can occur down stud walls too

Thanks.

The ceiling is plasterboard, and the cracks seem only to be in the artex which has come away from the board. Thing is, the house is 15/20 years old and the cracks only a couple of months old :eek:

Sponsored Links
Different temperatures or moisture levels in the corners, seasonal differences etc can cause the artex to lose its bond a little ..... it can happen any time. Its quite common

I had a similar problem in my bedroom. Discovered it was caused by drying clothes on the radiator directly below the affected area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back