What would you do here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m little bit stuck on what to do here, should i cut the architrave to fit around the unpainted bit.

OR

Cut along the penciled line on the unpainted bit to fit the architrave in?

Attachments

• D9B34751-D1C8-45E3-BBCF-91258524DCA5.jpeg
    D9B34751-D1C8-45E3-BBCF-91258524DCA5.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
I would leave the existing part of the stair untouched and cut the architrave.
Fit a bit of trim with filler to the top of the stringer to avoid replacing the whole strip.

It's not that clear but you could remove a bit of the unpainted timber to allow relatively thin sheet material to continue the architrave - possibly adding some packing on the LHS?
Or just use something like 12mm to create a small upstand /block that looks like a design feature- i.e. Sticking out

Also if you can't replicate the trim on the top of the stretcher, because it's a small area, you could shape something close and sand it to blend in

Sponsored Links
It's not that clear but you could remove a bit of the unpainted timber to allow relatively thin sheet material to continue the architrave - possibly adding some packing on the LHS?
Or just use something like 12mm to create a small upstand /block that looks like a design feature- i.e. Sticking out

Also if you can't replicate the trim on the top of the stretcher, because it's a small area, you could shape something close and sand it to blend in

The block sounds good but i’m more concerned about cutting that bit of the stairs...won’t it affect the integrity of the stairs?

The block can be fitted so it stands proud of the architrave as a feature so no need to cut the stairs.

Not a decorative 'architrave ' block but what I would call a plinth block ,which look best at the junction of skirting with architraves anyway in my oinion , and would work at junction of stair string with architrave.

The thing Tiger was talking about is known as a plinth block/architrave block and was commonly used to cover the inevitable difference in thickness of the architrave and skirting board where they come together; usually a bit taller than the skirting board, and a little wider than the architrave.

he thing Tiger was talking about is known as a plinth block/architrave block and was commonly used to cover the inevitable difference in thickness of the architrave and skirting board where they come together; usually a bit taller than the skirting board, and a little wider than the architrave.
Think this has overlapped with my comments but that is exactly what I meant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back