What would you do ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
An retired bloke that drinks in my local has an electrical fault, and refuses to get an electrician out to sort things.(wont even consider it." £££ a waste, I'll get charged the earth !"). Due to the 'nature' of the fault I would like to go and have a look myself as it could be dangerous for the old git. .
He complains that he is 'getting' the dreaded 'tingle' when he is in the shed that he uses as a workshop. Mainly off of a 'little' lathe !!! (he has a fluorescent, and a double socket I am told).

First, I was going to do an efli test, isolate, check all the connections, disconnect anything 'plugged in' and then do another efli. ?

I know he will turn it back on if I ask him not to, so should I just leave it ?
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I think you are right to be concerned, but I do not think there is any legislation, as there is with gas, that can prevent him from becoming an extinct old git.It depends on how far your generosity stretches.

Been in this position with a friend's father.

The method is to explain that the "tingle" is the first sign of a fault that will get worse. And a sign that a very dangerous shock could happen any time. Asking him to turn it off almost certainly will not work but asking him to let you check it out may get you into the shed.

Then once in the shed look at the problem ( take care... the lathe and any other electrical fitting maybe live so don't touch anything earthed when near the lathe ). If you can show him a 230 volt between the lathe and any bit of metal in the shed on you multimeter then you can use that to show that he is in danger of getting the full 230 volts across him IF HE IS NOT CAREFULL Make the point he has very careful up to now but at any time a mistake could have given him the shock that leaves him either dead or it throws him into a dangerous position. Such as onto the moving lathe.

Thanks for your advice.

I am going to 'pop in' tomorrow and just 'have a look', there maybe something that I can do whilst telling him how dangerous it could be' and that he needs a qualified elec to have a peek.

As for now, :eek: strange how some folk think that paying someone to prevent what could be a 'fatal' shock is out of the question ????? :eek:

Sponsored Links
EddieCurrent said:
As for now, :eek: strange how some folk think that paying someone to prevent what could be a 'fatal' shock is out of the question ????? :eek:

It's not that hard to understand actually. Most people do not understand how electricity 'thinks' and until they get a serious electric shock they are totally oblivious of the power it actually has.

Electricity's bite is far worse than its bark. A slight tingle doesn't really give everyone enough of a kick up the ass to get things checked out, but by the time the full 'tingle' comes it's usually too late.

It's a sad but true fact that many people (more so in the older generation) are just not educated sufficiently in the matter and they also have the 'it's been fine for xx years' attitude that makes them think we are just trying to get them to part with their cash to do a job that doesn't need doing.

Hope you can persuade the old timer to get things sorted.

Davy

I would go the other way on this one.

You have offered advice, and are willing to "have a look" now suppose something does go wrong AFTER you have been, whos fault is that, its not mine.

Unless you are insured, all i suggest you do is to sugest to him if he leaves it, one day he may no longer to be able to come into the pub.

at the end of the day its his choice, not yours

persevere with your pursuasion.

Try speaking to his wife, family or other friends.
We all get old and I would like to think that I had a friend looking out for my welfare. We all know how old people can be, but that doesn't mean we should stop caring about our old folk!

Or, as the guy in "Airplane" put it,

"They knew what they were doing when they bought the ticket...!"

i thought he said,

over, this is under, under this is over...............

davy_owen_88 said:
It's not that hard to understand actually. Most people do not understand how electricity 'thinks' and until they get a serious electric shock they are totally oblivious of the power it actually has.

that only happens when your friend put his finger in your mouth and touches a dental filling, the electrons that are in the carpet (carpet makers weave them in to attract dirt) ............................

Thanks Breezer,
I understand your point, just know that he wont pay,
maybe a certain appliance he is using is faulty ??
I am in two minds now as what to do :LOL: :LOL:

Eddie I understand your conscience but ten foot barge pole comes to mind and also DIY don't involve yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back