What would you recommend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our boiler is on its last legs. Its a Worcester 9.24 electronic, 18 years old. Spares are scarce, according to BG, with whom we have a contract for maintenance/repair. They quoted for a new boiler about a year ago, and we told them where to go when it came out at a stupid amount.

The boiler currently is hung on the wall in the kitchen, but we could do with this space for an extension (under the plans, the wall would be removed). The boiler could go in the loft if required. There is plenty of space and decent access to most of the loft. The only problem is the lack of an outside wall, but I believe flues can go straight out of a tiled roof.

I dislike combi boilers. They are noisy (ours is anyway), and take a while to heat the water up. I get up at 5am, so firing up the boiler for hot water tends to wake everyone else up at this time.

Therefore I would prefer some kind of stored hot water method. Again, any storage vessel could go in the loft (the joists are thick enough to support the weight), or in a cupboard in one of the bedrooms if required.

There is currently no water or gas supply to the loft, and no drainage (for condensor boiler), but I could run the water and drainage myself to save costs. Currently the whole house runs on mains pressure water (no cold storage). I would like to retain mains pressure hot water, and I believe there are stored hot water systems that can do this. My mum would also like one of those showers with ****loads of sprayers on them, so a high hot flow rate is essential.

House is 3 bed, 1 bathroom, 4 people, loft is uninsulated. 8 radiators plumbed in 8mm microbore.

What do the plumbers on here recommend? And what sort of cost for all this? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I recommend you have it repiped in 15 mm and have a new system boiler about 15 kW and a 225 litre unvented cylinder installed by an independent for about £4000-£5500.

Though I am not a plumber!

Tony

glow worm ultrapower sxi 170 is a combi/unvented cyl hybrid or a wb 550.

If you are really after quality the rinnai twinflow but it's not cheap.

this is still a combi but the vaillant 937 in a good reliable boiler and is very quiet during operation

Sponsored Links
im with dangermouse on the rinnai water heater idea for hot water. as for ch,with the boiler. youve got the choice.it all depends on cost.rinnai arent condensers, and can be coupled to give very good water flows maintained at the users set temp.bit like a combi it heats up when demanded.stored water is less efficient but cheaper to install.also it all depends on the flow and pressure you get coming in to the house.

Worcester cdi is whsiper quiet, comes in system boiler as well as combi version. Various other modern boilers make very little noise too.

Your loft is uninsulated?

You must be wealthy enough to pay a lot for heating, as well as hardy.

Your loft is uninsulated?

You must be wealthy enough to pay a lot for heating, as well as hardy.
I meant the top of the loft is uninsulated. The loft floor is insulated well. I was merely pointing out that the loft could be exposed to extremes of temperature, as an unconditioned space.

if you are worried about that then rinnia is the boiler to get. it is rated down to something silly like -30 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back