what wrong with this CU? Quiz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been challenged to see what wrong with this CU photo but I can't see what wrong with it?

Can you see what?

Daniel.
FB_IMG_1435764482641.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like there's a lot of copper visible on the 4th live on the left. And there's a rogue Schneider rcbo in there (yes I know they're the same

I'm sure there's something really obvious though

Sponsored Links
For a start, I doubt that it qualifies as a CU at all (per BS7671 definition)!

Kind Regards, John

Is it something to do with most Square D MCBs being fed from the 'top' of the breaker usually?

You know the type, a typical Square D MCB has the busbar connection at the top, and the circuit wire goes in the bottom.

So if you fit one sideways in a 3 phase board, it may look fine, but the switches will be the opposite way round to what they would normally be?

If you see what I mean.

You cannot make out the Amp size of the RCBO's or the MCB's on the Distribution Board and can only hazard a guess at the cable size.
Either could be wrong.
We also don't know how this three phase board is set up - it does seem a very lob-sided distribution of the RCBO's and MCB's at the moment - as well as on its side as some has already stated.

Although it is the norm for breakers to be on their side on a 3 phase board, I'm wondering if the switches themselves are the right way round - if it even matters.

Normally on a 3 phase board, with the MCBs in the ON position the 'flaps' of the switches will point out 'outwards'

On the board in the picture, perhaps the switches will point 'inwards'.

IF they do, I'm not sure if it is a problem or not.

But you got to admit it's a good guess.

I've got this feeling some companies make different breakers for single phase boards and three phase boards, where the regular single phase boards have the dopey concept of breakers fed from the top rather than the bottom.

Is it something to do with most Square D MCBs being fed from the 'top' of the breaker usually?

You know the type, a typical Square D MCB has the busbar connection at the top, and the circuit wire goes in the bottom

These are fed from the top!

Not that it matters! It's gonna work either way around

I did a quick google and Square D seem to make (or have made) RCBOs that are both top and bottom fed. And the fact the two terminal screws for Line and Neutral are facing out the way they are, indicates they're fitted correctly.

Just had a look through my photos, and Schneider (proper Schneider, not cheap Schneider) RCBOs and MCBs are oriented in exactly the same way, with the switches in the same direction as this board.

Is there an unwritten rule that breakers are fed from the bottom in single phase consumer boards, and that the flaps of the breakers are always drooping down when turned OFF?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back