what wrong with this CU? Quiz

Nope, most Square D domestic boards are top fed. The new ones seem to be moving towards the 'norm'.

You still orient the breaker so the switch is down when off, it just means the busbar (it's not really a busbar) goes in the top, and the outgoing cables in the bottom. I kinda like it that way

Sponsored Links
How would bode having the two different Square D MCBs next to each other in the same (3 phase) board?

One switch will work the opposite way to the other. Does that matter?

Sponsored Links
Oh no not this again! Haha.

%5Cimages%5Cproduct%5Cextralarge%5C20100823144336Square%20D%20MCB%20Side.jpg

Them forks. As you can see, they fit top or bottom. But with an RCBO obviously you couldn't just swap them round

No, i am not but due to the op referring to the 'cu' and the quality of picture and the shot in the dark answers i thought what the hell…………

DS

From what can be seen, other than the odd exposed copper on live conductors and a couple of mixed devices, but I assume Square D and Schneider are type tested same and the cover being off. Looks fine to me!

FWIW, without seeing DS's answer, I was going to post RP earlier.

Where are the functional earths for the Square D rcbo's I can only seen one for the Schneider rcbo ?

DS

Is it something to do with most Square D MCBs being fed from the 'top' of the breaker usually?

You know the type, a typical Square D MCB has the busbar connection at the top, and the circuit wire goes in the bottom.

So if you fit one sideways in a 3 phase board, it may look fine, but the switches will be the opposite way round to what they would normally be?
Except that these are plug-in breakers and only fit one way (unless you start dismantling them).

The main issue I can see is that it clearly wasn't done by a "normal" spark. I thought it was forbidden to label cables or dress them neatly like that :mrgreen:
Could that be the issue we're looking for ? The cables are bunched closely together and that'll affect the derating factor to be applied ?

Could that be the issue we're looking for ? The cables are bunched closely together and that'll affect the derating factor to be applied ?
I wouldn't particularly say that they are. The problem is some use an inordinate amount of cable ties on them which obviously reduces the chance of them dissipating heat. Although if the circuits aren't terribly heavily loaded then in practice it's unlikely to be an issue.

In my view it looks crap,:)
Id stack the breakers upwards from the main switch on BOTH left and right sides

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back